Thread: Getting clicking noise from Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock

Getting clicking noise from Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock

below mentioned are the system configuration of my computer.

CPU: Intel 2600k (OC to 4.5ghz)
    MOBO: Gigabyte g1.Sniper 2
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 580 Superoverclock x 2 (SLI) GV-N580SO-15I
    PSU: Corsair 1050HX / Silverstone strider 1200w
    From past few days I am getting couple of issue with the computer of mine. I have noticed that there were audible clicking noise coming from the computer of mine.

Well I have disabled Vsync on my system and after doing that I got squeezing noise on my system. once I am enabling vysnc the noise is getting change into vysnc. This particular sound is occurring when GPU of mine is having lots of load. I was suspecting that there was an issue associated with coil or capacitors. Hence to get the root cause of the problem I tested GPU individually. However I got same output for both GPUs. I need to RMA my one GPU as it was having loose fan bearing. However the new GPU which I got also causing the same kind of noise as it was created by older one when there was load.

Well I am having another machine which is having couple of 6950. This particular system is also causing clicking noise which is bit louder. In the computer which I have discussed previously now I am suspecting that I need to replace PSU. I removed GTX 580 and installed GTX 275 and luckily there was no noise even though I turned on vysnc. There was no audible sound at all. when I placed my ear near to GPU I was able to get buzzing noise which was same as that of GTX 580. But it not so audible.

Hence I removed PSU from the system case and placed bit away from it.. After I have installed GTX 580 again and started to play game and I heard that PSU was causing same kind of issue. when I turned off vysnc there was high pitched squeezing noise. It was available for both PSU and GPU which I have installed. both GPU as well as CPU are having clicking noise issue and it can be audible by anyone.

However there was bit difference in the situation after replacing the PSU with silverstone strider 1200w gold. This particular PSU is having capacitors inside of PCIe cables it would help you to reduce the noise from GPU as well as CPU but still there was not much difference in the situation. I am not able to get whether the above mentioned issue was happening but currently whenever computer is getting idle I am getting electrical hum at regular small interval.

Any help on this particular matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

re: Getting clicking noise from Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock

I think there is something wrong with the PSU itself. Let me know whether you are having an access to UPS which you will be incoming mains supply which coming along for PSU. If you are able to borrow one of them then you should remove the same so that it would help you out to reduce the possibilities of root cause which you are getting. so try and see whether it helps you out to get the exact root cause of the problem.

re: Getting clicking noise from Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock

Hey thanks a lot for the prompt replies of yours. after going through the post of yours I wanted tell you that I am not having an access to UPS right now. However I am planning to one very soon. Also I am looking to update when I am trying to benchmark by utilizing Furmark and there was no buzzing as well as squeezing noises. I found that there was sound after increasing RPM of FAN and it seems to be normal enough for me.

Well it seems to be really strange as I have tested the situation by using total 3 Gigabyte GTX 580 Superoverclock and all those three cards were created buzzing noises when there were load. Even I have noticed the same thing when there were general activates such as accessing and scrolling webpage. In order to get whether there was an issue with PSU I have simply switched GPU with a Gigabyte GTX 275 superoverclock. I have concluded that there was no sound irrespective of whether I have enabled vysnc or not. I don’t know whether the thing which I have mentioned over here is normal or not. Let me know if you can help me out to fix the matter of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Getting clicking noise from Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock

I do agree that there could be an issue with the power supply itself. I have also noticed that all the people are pointing towards the capacitor whine or inductor. But it is unusual thing to see. As far as I know Japanese capacitors are having great electrical noise absorption properties. But if there are an issue with the capacitors itself then you will need to contact official service center and claim for the service warranty itself. There is no any other remedy available which I can think about.