Thread: Capacitor of my graphic card badly soldered

Capacitor of my graphic card badly soldered

I purchased a Zotac Geforce GTX 460 yesterday and attached it in my computer. While attaching the graphic card, I noticed on its side that one of the capacitor being used in this graphic card was wrongly soldered. It was attached completely flat on its bottom instead of being supported by connecting wires. First I had doubts that there is something wrong with the built of this graphic card. Also the capacitor seems to be bent on one side of its body rather than being straight and erect. After starting to use it, everything worked fine. It gave no problem, but I still fear that if the card is put under load or stress, then the vibrations from cooling fan might damage the attachment and damage my graphic card. Will this kind of capacitor attachment cause any problem in future?

re: Capacitor of my graphic card badly soldered

You can try pushing it slightly by using your finger. If the capacitor shows any movement, then there might be some problem with it. You will need to solder the capacitor properly. If the capacitor doesn’t move on pushing it, then it is fine and will not cause any problem. As you are saying that it is bent over one side, it is fine until it doesn’t touch any other part of the graphic card. If any mistake is done by the manufacturer in soldering of the capacitor, then it might cause damage to the graphic card, if PSU sends more voltage than graphic card’s capacity. The capacitor won’t be able to handle such high voltage and might burn down. This is why you will need to manually complete the soldering if not done. Seek professional help if you don’t have any experience working with the hardware. Another possible thing is that you can contact the vendor or manufacturer about the fault.