Thread: PC crashes with ASUS HD 7950 DirectCU II Graphics Card

PC crashes with ASUS HD 7950 DirectCU II Graphics Card

Few weeks before I have purchased the Asus HD7950 DIRECTCU II this is based on AMD Radeon. After installing it on my computer, everything worked well till yesterday night but today when turn on the computer I have realized that my computer is working slowly and then it crashed suddenly. There was no signal on the screen and some kind of strange sound coming out from the Video card. I think that sound coming from the GPU coolers. I think that my card has overheated after excessive usage. I have tried to run the card without catalyst installed but no use. The system was still freezing. Even at idle, it was crashing all the time and there was no reason why it is happening. Do you have any suggestions?

Re: PC crashes with ASUS HD 7950 DirectCU II Graphics Card

We believe that the problem is the pressure against the GPU cooler, the heat zone observed with infrared thermography is not centered on the GPU but slightly to his right, either in the direction where the bulk weight of the cooler. To demonstrate this, we raise again the test, this time taking the infrared device in one hand and supporting the cooler on the other hand. To heat up the GPU more quickly, we added a little overclocking. As we expected, there is no problem, the temperature at the back of the GPU is normal, + / - 75 C ... but once the hand is released, the temperature increases from 20 C in a seconds and it takes less than a minute for the system hangs. If instead we apply a slight pressure (as could a cable a little bit stiff) on top of the cooler, it comes off even more of the GPU and the system crashes instantly.

Clearly the Radeon HD 7950 DirectCU II is faulty in design. The GPU indeed overheating due to poor contact with the cooler. Such a small defect can happen to all manufacturers; it is usually detected on the first samples and just slightly rectifies the design. What we offended in this case is that Asus was clearly aware of this potential defect, if confirmed by some people and chose to ignore it so as to avoid having to delay the marketing of this product. Behavior of the most disappointing, especially since it is a high-end model that is supposed to be refined in detail to provide a superior quality! We obviously hope that the manufacturer will take, remember all those cards, classic version and TOP factory overclocked, do relist once the problem is solved and no longer market prototypes in questionable behavior in the future !

The Radeon HD 7950 card differs significantly from the reference design. ASUS Sun relies on its own PCB, including the famous DirectCU II cooler. In addition, the clock speeds have been increased to 900 MHz for the GPU. The memory clock is at 1250 MHz. With the ASUS HD 7950 TOP DirectCU II, we test one of the first factory-overclocked Radeon HD delivered 7950th In addition to an increase in clock of the graphics card with the exact name-HD7950-DC2T 3GD5 also has its own cooling solution was used, so that it needs to be focused primarily on the volume and the temperature values of the graphics card. The crash often comes from the graphics drivers or lack of power. The PSU I do not know if this block is good or not, however, even the best blocks can have factory defects. OCCT a try and post the results! If still crashes, reinstall the drivers.

Have you overclocked and maybe the settings are still not back?

Afterburner installed once and watches as the clock speeds, and then click on the reset times as clocks button. Otherwise it may be almost entirely due to the driver. If you still have an old or second plate, and get it quickly once a bare Windows and throw on it the latest driver and then look if it goes there. I bet the driver of any building a botch.

As many noticed Asus is a bit of time with certain products, without counting the names in the range of motherboard with Pro or Deluxe that looks way too basic models. Regarding the problem reported in the news, when buying my DirectCU in 5850 I had the same worries, except that in my case the card is not usable. In all cases there must be an explanation to a problem.

My friend had also detected an abnormality in the cooler with insufficient pressure on the GPU heatsink. But to be sure that this problem was not related to sample their press, they have purchased a business model. And pattern as before and worse, the card happily plant; thermograph is over 110 C, a deviation for a modified map. By compensating the lack of pressure, temperature normalizes its map. The HD 7950 and only they are affected by a manufacturing defect that Asus confirms the hint, but without reacting commercially against it for now. Therefore advise you not to purchase this particular model as nothing is official statement on the subject.

Since I myself have a very similar problem and I have informed the last time a lot, I suspect that it is primarily a driver problem. For me, the problem occurs in connection with websites containing Flash content. It does not matter whether I use Chrome, FF or IE and it does not matter if the hardware acceleration is disabled. Another tip I've read is to manually download the Shockwave player. In my case the problem still occurs, but it has improved by the above-mentioned points. So try this:
    • Chrome instead of Firefox
    • Disable Flash hardware acceleration
    • Shock Wave manually download
    • BIOS update and bring everything else up to date

I would be very interested how this problem can be solved. As I said, I believe that these issues could play a role, but do not know

The drivers are / were not even installed.

What graphics card you had before?

In any case, uninstall everything once. The latest drivers, old drivers, etc. Then clean the system, preferably with Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode. Also, once the registry with CCleaner or similar cleaning Tool. Then try again to install RC11 driver . If that still does not work, installed the driver manually by right-clicking on the "standard VGA graphics card" entry in Device Manager (specify properties, new drivers directory of the unpacked RC11 driver, etc.).