Thread: Should i upgrade my GPU or go for SLI build in order to play new games?

Should i upgrade my GPU or go for SLI build in order to play new games?

I am really were annoyed by the temperature of my SLI eVGA GTX 470, now I know that it is normal for the 470ern that come into play on more than 90 degree C. The performance is also equally good, both in SLI can almost keep up with the new graphics card which up to now for me, one of the main reasons was to replace and not to overlook the temperature and power consumption. Now i want to change something about the situation - until now I have three ideas:
    First Change reference cooler (priced comparatively cheaper option)
    This raises the question whether enough space between the graphics card, I have a 650D Case Corsair and Asus Formula III motherboard.
    Second sell the 470 and GTX 590 or Radeon 6990 (rather) buy (price is bearable)
    Third Install water cooling (expensive)
    Since the question is whether the effort is paying off. I've read through a few tests on Corsair 650D will be quite difficult and there arises a question whether there is sufficient cycle because the SLI 470s already generated a massive amount of heat.

Re: Should i upgrade my GPU or go for SLI build in order to play new games?

St. Peter's only fit for SLI, if you leave out the top card, the fans. With a 470 but that would probably be the result of overheating. Peter therefore falls away, unfortunately. As you can stand the Scythe Setsugen 2 or Ac Accelero Xtreme plus to choose from. The product of AC would then lie very closely. The Setsugen 2 takes out of the box little less slots in claim, but has a lower cooling capacity. Either take the Setsugen 2 and replace the Slimlufter against normal or the AC and I would prefer the latter.

Thanks for the replies! I've looked around a bit and now I have also come to the Scythe Setsugen 2 but also found the MSI Twin Frozr II, this will require only 2 slots. And this model is indeed used on many graphics cards, so should not be so bad, right? And as I said, the Scythe Setsugen 2 should be quite weak, which seems fatal to a 470 for me - as does a change of the fan power needed? Would fit with me ever since the radiator clean?

The SLI (Scalable Link Interface: link interface sliding scale) NVIDIA allows two or more GPU (Graphic Processor Units: graphics processor units) are bonded to cooperate and run together like a single GPU faster.

With some games that make heavy use of graphics, SLI can deliver improved performance; you can allow higher screen resolutions and may enable more features that make heavy use of graphics without reducing the frame rate the game. The frame rate, which measures the frequency with which updates the game screen image, usually expressed in frames per second (fps). If the frame rate is too low, the action of the game does not appear uniform and continuous, and may even resemble viewing a slideshow. SLI can also improve performance of applications that make heavy use of graphics on the sidelines of the games. On computers with two GPUs, including the list of applicable models indicated above, the obtained improved video performance of SLI graphics subsystem of the computer normally is less than twice that of a single GPU. The degree of performance improvement varies between games and also depends on the specific configuration of the functions of each game. With some games, SLI only provides a slight performance improvement. With other games, SLI may get slightly worse performance aspects of the game.

There are various SLI modes, including single GPU mode, which basically disables SLI.

How to determine compatibility with SLI in a game: For a game to take advantage of the benefits SLI, is necessary for the application profile of the game in question is present in the display driver. Follow these steps to see the profile list of games and other applications present on the currently installed display driver.
    Click the right mouse button on the Windows desktop, then click NVIDIA Control Panel (NVIDIA control panel).
    Click 3D Settings (3D configuration).
    Click Manage 3D Settings (manage 3D settings).
    Click the Program Settings tab (set of programs).
    Scroll through the list of programs shown.

Updating the display driver
    If you have a game or other program not listed, try to update the display driver on your computer. Perhaps the latest display driver includes additional application profiles.

Creating a custom profile
    You can also create their own application profiles for SLI add support for games not included in the list of display driver.

GPU against CPU
    The graphics processing power (obtained from the GPU) is of vital importance with higher screen resolutions. Lower screen resolutions, there may be other significant factors, especially the computer's CPU, which is normally used to perform mathematical calculations of physical modeling and the artificial intelligence of game characters.

With any resolution, SLI usually allows a wider selection of game features that make heavy use of graphics (such as shadows, interlaced or HDR) without reducing performance dramatically. In addition to SLI, there are many ways to improve the frame rate of a game and their overall performance, including the installation of additional memory, reducing the screen resolution, the setting of another configuration of the game, defragmenting the drive hard, closing other applications and closing non-essential processes.