Thread: I do not find Nvidia optimus as a good card

I do not find Nvidia optimus as a good card

Hello friends, I am using Nvidia GeForce GT 555M and using optimus feature then it is not at all worth. Whenever I am trying to work it but not working properly for me and getting fail it with it and if I am trying to work out with old drivers which was been available during time of purchase of laptop. If I am downloading new drivers of the card then it is creating more problems. So I have came to conclusion that optimus is really worth or not. What you people have to say about it and are there anyone who is thinking that it worth then please do tell me about it. Thank you.

re: I do not find Nvidia optimus as a good card

I do think so and it is working for me and I would like to tell some points about it that it is completely automatic which just allow you to have a longer battery life and there is changes in visuals and there is no need to do changes in settings, it is set automatically and there is nothing wrong if there is some other application running in background and it find out that how properly your notebook is working. Card which you are having it is something which is more than 10x better performance and that all happens due to Optimus technology and can enjoy games and other applications without any worry. These were changes I have figured it out when I have started using Optimus and it is really helpful.

I do not agree with above user, there are some problems with it and will listed out major problems which are been occurring. Main one is starting from GPU such that it is not able to select any particular software, there are application games such as Sony Vegas, Autodesk 3DS Max, Sonic Generations and many more. If you check it out source of them then it is having Shadow Detail limited to Medium and also have a option to maximum available setting, but which should be done by Optimus is not be done, will be getting it as medium. There is one more problem which I am getting it, I do not know that it is due to this technology or not, problem is that system is constantly switching from the IGP to the GPU and when I am checking OptimusTools NvOptimusTestViewer then it is showing me GPU is at idle mode, anyhow default Nvidia Control Panel GPU notification icon lights up and off for every couple of seconds of time and due to which I have used small application so that GPU be online not off nor idle.

I have reported this issue to Nvidia support team and it has taken a period of month to reply back to me, I do believe that Nvidia knows about problem and they are not attempting to solve issue anyhow. If you people might have observe that this problem is happening from past 2 years and till now there is no perfect solution and why does not Nvidia takes responsibility of making some support for issue and especially it should be done with old cards which is able with notebooks. They should be something which might have worked for all of us and it will be very much helpful.

I would like to tell that I am using Asus K53SV laptop which is having Nvidia GT555M graphics card and also has Nvidia Optimus feature; I am using Linux as my operating system and using it from past 10 years. I have heard that Nvidia cards are very much excellent when it is working with Linux system, so due to which I have gone with GT555M card. But I am still facing problem with ATI graphics cards, as using one of them on desktop computer and one thing which I know is that I will be not going to purchase it. Leaving both these cards then I am left with only one option which Intel HD and it is giving me what I wish for. I was hoping that Nvidia will at least consider supporting Optimus on Linux; if it is not working with windows then I really not care about it. One thing which I am sure is that wanted to use Nvidia card instead of Intel integrated as I really not wanted to get stuck with it. It seems that there are plenty of laptops are having Optimus features and I was not able to find any laptop which is affordable by me and it is a problem for users who wanted a laptop with Linux and it will be hard for him to find it out. I would suggest Nvidia to make this option for Linux use.

Whatever above user has told it is really worth and I do know that it is affected by optimus problem and this is thing which is making most of people angry and frustrating. If you are trying to contact support team then they do not work on it and also they have any response for that as well. Everyone over here and also other who are wishing that problems with Optimus should be fixed and also Nvidia should make public announcement of problem which are happening due to Optimus feature. If they force there staff to work on it then it might be really helpful and will be solving plenty of doubts. I do not know that it is most expected thing from all users. I think that it will be better attitude than just getting angry for the lack of fixes and not improving anyone's situation. There are also other problem which can be observed clearly such that shadow details limited to medium settings and it happening due to any silly reason.

Re: I do not find Nvidia optimus as a good card

Primarily I'm in the process of maxim that probably if Nvidia and clients work as a single unit, we might conceivably have the ability to span a regular result quicker. Anyway, what could stress me of Nvidia not wanting to think about settling Optimus is that unlike all different GPU makers, Nvidia even now composed numerous switchable design explanations on better equipment cycles, and if they suddenly discharge a brand new tech that supercedes Optimus, then we all could be out of luck. Yet genuinely, the hypothesis (and even the execution to some degree) of Optimus is proportionally sound, so Nvidia ought to without a doubt chip away at altering all present and fate issues with it. I don't accept that the whole Nvidia staff is solely taking a shot at Kepler.