Thread: Sapphire hd 6870 1gb is locking the system while playing games

Sapphire hd 6870 1gb is locking the system while playing games

I have recently added Sapphire hd 6870 1gb to my system and the temperature does not crosses 73 degrees Celsius but then I have started facing lock up system lock up when playing games, just to explain the same in detail I was playing bad company 2 on max setting and I don’t know why but then the system just froze I was expecting a bsod in the way it got locked up but then it did not appeared, I was using 4890 previously and I never had any such issues while playing the same game with it, I really don’t know what is the issue all about and I am able to track out the cause of it as well, I have tried updating the drivers for it but then they are not making any difference, is there anyone else who has faced the same and has an idea about it??
    • CPU: Q8400 2.6 ghz
    • GPU: Sapphire 6870
    • RAM: 4gb DDR2
    • MOBO: GA-EP35-D3SL
    • PSU: 650 watt corsair
    • Driver: 11.6

Re: Sapphire hd 6870 1gb is locking the system while playing games

I have found other people having the same issue as well but then in their case the issue was random, I mean that they used to face system lock up when playing games but then only sometimes and their issue was solved after updating the driver for the graphic card but then you seems to be having different case, since you have mentioned that you have upgraded from another ati card I will suggest you to better use driversweeper for removing the left out of the old drivers and reinstall the latest driver, other than this make sure that the motherboard is having the latest bios as well, just check out these possible things and see if the issue is getting solved in your case or not.

Yes even I think that you should install the latest driver first and use driversweeper for removing the trace of the old driver, I also wanted to add that if you have installed Catalyst Application Manager separately then just uninstall the same and make sure that video card is not getting hot and is staying below 80C, you can also check out the temperature of the CPU as well as the RAM, there are quite a possibilities where they can cause such issues when they get hot, I was having the same case before and in my case they were to the left side of the CPU where there was a dead spot for hot air and because of the same the inductors very getting very hot causing the system to freeze but then now I have added a small fan setup on them and have made then point to the very nearest exhaust as well and since then I am not having any freezing issues. So just check out these things and see if you are having any of the mentioned case.

Even I am facing freezing issues with the Sapphire Radeon HD 6870, my system specifications are as followed:
    • Operating System: Win 7 Family Premium 64bit
    • CPU:AMD Phenom X4 955 BE no OC (original ventirad)
    • Memory C Vengeance Performance 2 x 4 Go DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9
    • PSU:Antec HCG 620w
    • HDD: 1 hdd F3 Spinpoint 1To + 1 hdd WD 250Go
    • Graphic card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

Since I have bought the system I have been facing freezes and recoveries of the AMD driver, I was thinking that it is due to the driver but then by now I have tried out a number of drivers so far but then none of them made any difference, I am facing system lock with older games and not with the new games like Metro 2033, Empire Total War, Dirt 3. So I really don’t think that there is some kind of driver issue but then I am not sure what exactly is the cause of the same, what do you think about my case??