Thread: Vertical flickering lines in Gateway XHD3000 monitor

Vertical flickering lines in Gateway XHD3000 monitor

I have a Gateway XHD3000 monitor for my PC at my home. I am using it for past 3 and half years. Recently while shifting the computer from one part of the house to another, I think I must have mistakenly nudged the monitor around or maybe it must have experienced shock while shifting it around. Now 3whenever I turn on the monitor, I don’t get a proper picture, instead it shows some static lines. I demagnetized it thinking that some magnetic field must be affecting it, but as time passed these static lines started tuning into green colored lines. Many times some black patches appear over the display. It seems like that part is disabled and has nothing to display. After keeping it on for a long time, a tint of various colors start appearing on the monitor. Usually it is of only red and yellow color but it is noticeable. What can be the problem? Is it repairable or should I get a new monitor? Is it possible to repair it at home or should I send it over to the mechanic?

Re: Vertical flickering lines in Gateway XHD3000 monitor

You will need to open the monitor to get the access to logic board that is inside it. On that logic board, you will see an ALTERA BGA chip which is the largest chip and that of black color. So it is easily noticeable. The problem you have described happens because some of the lead points that connect the chip to the board must have been disconnected or broken. At the bottom of chip, you will see some lead points, this are called lead contacts. Check these lead contacts and see if they are fine or if any of it is broken. You need to connect the broken lead contacts to the chip again by soldering it. To reconnect these lead contacts, you will need to use the soldering heat of around 340 degree Celsius. At temperature of 220 degree Celsius, you will find that the lead contacts have started releasing small amount of smoke and smell. But ignore it as the lead won’t even have started melting then. Now when the lead melts, you can just attach the contact back to the point from where it was broken. Do not use the butane torch, I know it provides quicker rise in temperature, but it might heat the surrounding air and damage the chip. If you are using a propane or butane torch to acquire a high temperature for melting the lead, then see to it that you don’t leave the black residue on the lead contact. This black residue is a corrosive material and can conduct heat and electricity around. So see to it that after attaching the lead contact, you clean it thoroughly before attaching it back to the board. When heating the lead contact, see to it that you are distributing the heat equally on all the parts. If not, the lead contact might experience stress cracks and break from the point again. Also see to it that the temperature of the flame is not kept consistent. Keep reducing and increasing periodically. Don’t use a candle or a lighter to melt the lead. It will take a lot of time and as well as not provide the accuracy for concentrating the heat where required.

As you have mentioned in your question that the problem of flickering lines and static begins after some time you start the monitor. So one reason can be that the chip is overheating and the fan that cols the heated chip is not working efficiently and there is some problem with it. When you open the monitor, you will see that the back side of the logic board has a cage like structure in exactly opposite position where the chip is on the front side. This cage has a little fan in it, keep the power on and check if the fan is working properly and not stopping. Try cleaning the fan and making it free of dust and see if you find any difference in its speed. Now check if the problems occur again. If the problem persists then you will need to change its speed from the BIOS menu. If the problem is related to overheating of the chip then you can add a heatsink in the monitor to maintain the temperature. This monitor uses an LTM300M1C8LV3.2 logic board in it. If the problem is not related to chip you can directly replace the logical board. This board is of very old design and you will find it easily in the market at very low price.

If your lead contact of the chip is broken, then you can use the candle bit method to reattach it. For this repairing procedure, you will need to have a set of screwdrivers of various sizes. Normal screw driver will also do, but see to it that various sizes of it are available or not. You will need tweezers and forceps to take out the small attaching wires. First unlock the mounting brackets that hold the board in one place. Then remove the plastic shield that is protecting the board from outside materials like dust and water. Now you will notice a foil cage covering the middle part of the board from its back side. You will now see a small wire at the bottom right part of the board, you need to detach it. Now you will need to remove the center part of the logical board and separate it from the main board. Do not handle the middle part with bare hand, use a soft clothe to handle it. Let the chip cool down. Now light a candle and drop the molten wax on the broken point. Now quickly attach the broken lead contact before the wax hardens. This can work as a temporary solution as chances of the wax breaking down is more.

The problem must be happening due to insufficient power supply being reached to the chip. Remove the fuse and test it to see how much power it supplies to the chip. If it is 17 V or less than that, it means that the chip is not getting sufficient power. Since your monitor is so old, maybe the foil that is used to transfer power must have used up. You can replace the metal foil with a new foil. You can use a double layered heavy duty foil which you can heat and attach it to the two points where the old foil was attached. You need to attach the foil very securely in the fuse. There should be any chance that it will come out. If ever the foil comes out, then it might cause complications in the monitor that will be beyond repairs.

According to you a slight push or nudge must have moved the chip from its place. If no lead contact is broken and still you are having problem, then check if the ALTERA BGA chip is properly attached to the connector or not. Touch it with your finger and see if it shows any movement. The manufacturer when attaches the chip uses special machinery which attaches it tightly. Achieving such tightness manually is not possible. So you need to clamp it down. You can use the folder binding clip to hold it tightly against the board or you can run a wire around it. If you are using a wire to hold it tight, then see that the wire is properly insulated and no piece of insulation has come out.

I have repaired many monitors and televisions as it is part of my work. I suggest that you go for the candle bit method if the lead contact is broken. Though it provides temporary solution, it is secure and safe, chances of you messing the complete system is very low in this. The problem of getting the large empty patches on the display is due to worn out connection strip. You will need to replace it for better display. To find which connection strip has worn out, check every brown connector. You will surely find it. The connector strip is just a small copper wire. You can yourself replace it with a new copper wire and make it work fine. If the problem is related to overheating of the chip, then you can use the monitor on low resolution.

Oh! wow! I thought I was one of the rarest people to have this rate monitor in India

Where are you located? I am having similar issues. I quite possible even have a solution that needs to be executed.

I have this rare lovely monitor as well (brought from the US).

Same flicker issues.

I have found a solution that needs to be executed/ implemented.

Where are you located? Lets talk.