Thread: High standby power usage of Panasonic Plasma TV

High standby power usage of Panasonic Plasma TV

I want to confirm first that only I am the one who is facing this issue or there are other members too. I have a Panasonic Plasma TV. It is a big widescreen Tv. I had used some tool to find the actual power usage. It is working nice for some couple of months. When the TV is not used means on standby mode the power usage is high which is around 65W. I do not think this must be the power usage of any other standby tv. It is not used and simply on sleep mode. There is a DVR connected to TV. I had seen a similar TV a bit smaller than mine of same brand. The standby power of the same is below 38W. Can anyone explain why this difference appear actually. Shouldn't this be any kind of fault in the Tv.

Re: High standby power usage of Panasonic Plasma TV

To some extent high standby power is not good for a TV. Reason can be many. If you go technically you can find the right answer on the same. There are certain articles on the web that guides you for the same. It is bit impossible to understand technically about the power usage of a plasma Tv. But the usage amount which you had mentioned is really high. There are number of stuff which matter in maintaining the output quality of a plasma tv. You can only understand the same once you learn what is the actual power usage of a plasma tv. The response time, the standby mode consumption and all. If you can find your TV documentation then surely there are certain things in it. Read the same and find out what is the actual standby power usage of your TV.

You are not ware that Plasma TVs needs more than a regular LCD TV. It is found from a survey that Plasma TVS needs three times the more power than used by a LCD TV. Right-now there are number of plasmas in the market and they too with a very high size. So you can simply figure out that more larger it is more power it consumes. LCD are more energy efficient. In Plasma every pixel is a discrete light source which is a kind of tiny bulb fitted on the TV. So the higher the pixel the higher the power usage are. So I do not think that is really a major issue about the power consumption of the TV. You can relax about the usage.

In my views on standby the TV should stay low. It must not consume that much what you had mentioned. It means that the TV or there is any other stuff which consumes that power to stay awake. Try disconnecting all stuff from your TV and then check back. Disconnect everything and just keep in on for sometime. Test the power usage then and after connecting everything. You can find the difference. It is recommended that when you do not use the TV just turn everything off or it can put pressure on your electricity bill.

Does your plasma face issue of electricity leak. Because some of the devices made of poor power management can cause power leakage when not in used. The standby mode usage depends on the size of Tv. The bigger it is the more higher will be the standby time. I had tested in number of different models about the power usage and found that LCDs are the most energy efficient one.