Thread: How to access font settings in windows 7 with CRT Monitor?

How to access font settings in windows 7 with CRT Monitor?

I seriously do not like the fonts that are provided by windows 7 on CRT monitors. I have always noticed a kind of incompatibility between CRT monitor and windows 7 system.

For example if you speak about Cleartype, it looks too blurry and if you turn off Cleartype it makes some of the websites font thin and scattered. That doesn’t mean it does not work at all with the websites, there are some sites where the fonts do look fine but if you talk about those problematic site the fonts are sometimes very much horrible. They look too thin and sometime they become invisible to our naked eyes. Is there anyone who is has suffered with the same problem and experiencing the same thing.

Re: How to access font settings in windows 7 with CRT Monitor?

Yeah I would like to tell something about CRT monitors. Even I have noticed all such things with my windows 7 system and such CRT monitor. I must say that the sharpness of the CRT always tends to come up with some different look. It keeps on changing along with the fonts. As I come across with different fonts the sharpness level too changes depending on it.

Hey I guess you shouldn’t blame CRT monitor at all, although these monitors are now a days not in much demand. You know if you ask me I would purely blame windows 7 for the font issue. CRT monitors are nowhere in the picture, I have encounter horrible fonts in windows 7 with any of the monitors keeping cleartype in general. No matter whatever type of monitor I select windows 7 fonts have never been my favorite. For me the best solution was to simply revert all the font settings back to windows XP switching from windows 7.

I do have the same issue but I am very much concerned with the cleartype. As you have already mentioned above in the thread that whenever you keep the cleartype off the fonts seems to be looking worst and doing it either way ends up giving you the same quality. But however I do find the fonts quite impressive on my FW900 but when I try to turn off the Clear-type everything look too horrible. Please help me out, I am very much confused with the Clear-type what exactly should I do. Should I turn it on off? What you people do with it?

Having Clear-type turn off gives you such abnormal fonts just because the default font Segoe UI is made for Cleartype you can either try out with some other fonts eliminating the default font or you can try out changing the FontSmoothingType value to 2 by getting in the registry settings.

Not sure whether trying out other available settings will however help you out or not but yeah obviously changing the FontSmoothingType value to 2 will somehow show you minor or maybe some major changes. I guess the initial default value of FontSmoothingType is always set to 1 and if changing it to 2 doesn’t makes any difference you can probably try out the other solution i.e. changing the fonts.
    Anyways if you need to really try out changing he FontSmoothingType value then you can follow the steps:
    • Start Menu
    • Run, Type regedit
    • Over there navigate: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    • You would find FontSmoothingType with dword:00000001
    • Just change the value to 2 i.e. FontSmoothing="2"

For me the best solution was to simply revert all the font settings back to windows XP switching from windows 7.
    Did you mean that you revert only the font settings or you just reverted back to windows XP completely? I guess you might have reverted to windows XP as reverting only the fonts sounds quite impossible to me, I don’t think its possible to do so. If you really did it with the fonts then may I know how exactly you did it, there are people who says that its somehow possible from the registry but no one confirmed with it.

Look I reverted the fonts and not widows 7, I simply reverted the fonts in advanced apprearance settings in order to reflect the ones in XP. Once done with it I made the following changes in the registry:

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common]
    "RespectSystemFontSmooth"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000001
    "FontSmoothing"="2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
    "Segoe UI"="MS Sans Serif"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontsRemoved]
    "Segoe UI (TrueType)"="segoeui.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="segoeuib.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuiz.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuii.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"="segoeuil.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"="seguisb.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"="seguisym.ttf"

Already once tried changing the default font from segoe to ms sans serif also did the registry changes but then too at some of the places I find fonts are not doing well. Let me tell you again that my actual issue is not just the system fonts but how exactly the fonts now looks and displayed on webpages. There are some CRT that looks great with cleartype enabled where as some don’t looks the same. Mine doesn’t looks like a cleartype, fonts looks too blurry in it. I personally feels that cleartype should not be an option or a requirement for CRTs.