Thread: Nvidia geforce gtx 680 does not work with Dell XPS 8300

Nvidia geforce gtx 680 does not work with Dell XPS 8300

I am using Dell XPS 8300 desktop computer and I have bought Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card. When I connect my graphic card with my Dell XPS 8300 and then start my computer at that time I cannot get Geforce GTX 680 to post. what should I do to solve this problem?

Re: Nvidia geforce gtx 680 does not work with Dell XPS 8300

After referring your problem I will first suggest you to remove your Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card from your computer and then you have to connect your Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card with different PCI eslot and then check whether you are getting same problem or not?

If above idea does not work for you then you have to connect your Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card with different computer and then see whether it works properly or not? if you get same problem after connecting Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card with any other computer then it means there is something wrong with your graphic card. if your graphic card works properly with any other computer then you have to check card with different PSU in your desktop.

Do you have stock BIOS in your computer or you have updated it? If you have not updated BIOS then I will suggest you to first update BIOS in your computer and after updating the BIOS you have to connect your Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card and then check whether same problem is occurring or not?

Yes I will suggest you same also. First visit official site of Dell and then you have to download latest BIOS installation file from there and after downloading latest BIOS installation file you have to update BIOS in your PC and then connect your graphic card with your Dell XPS 8300 and then your problem will get solved. Same thing happened with me also and then I have updated BIOS in my computer and then my problem gets solved.

Thank you for helping me. I have tried to solve this problem by connecting Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card with different PCI e slot but after that also I was facing same problem. now after that I have update BIOS in my computer but that does not make any difference. when I connect my graphic card with other computer at that time get same problem. how to fix this problem?

Did anyone ever get an answer for this?

I would think since Dell is proprietary it could very well be a Bios issue but more likely a Power supply issue!
    YOU MUST have at least a 500w PSU for this card.
    If you dont or if you Just have a 500w and you have many other things hooked up it could just not be pushing enough power.

Also, If the fan ramps up and then goes quiet but is still spinning odds are the card is not blown up or bad. It also could be that the dell just doesnt recognize these new cards with the 28nm GPUs.

These are all speculative and by no means difinitive possibilities.

I would like to know if this was fixed because I got a card for someone and they are having this exact issue.
    I am thinking it may be the PSU if this system comes with a 5770 which only requires a 400w PSU.

Was this resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Abeeftec View Post
    Did anyone ever get an answer for this?

I would think since Dell is proprietary it could very well be a Bios issue but more likely a Power supply issue!
    YOU MUST have at least a 500w PSU for this card.
    If you dont or if you Just have a 500w and you have many other things hooked up it could just not be pushing enough power.

Also, If the fan ramps up and then goes quiet but is still spinning odds are the card is not blown up or bad. It also could be that the dell just doesnt recognize these new cards with the 28nm GPUs.

These are all speculative and by no means difinitive possibilities.

I would like to know if this was fixed because I got a card for someone and they are having this exact issue.
    I am thinking it may be the PSU if this system comes with a 5770 which only requires a 400w PSU.

Was this resolved?

seems there is a compatiblity issue with only the XPS 8300.

Check here....

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19442678.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward View Post
    Thank you for helping me. I have tried to solve this problem by connecting Nvidia geforce gtx 680 graphic card with different PCI e slot but after that also I was facing same problem. now after that I have update BIOS in my computer but that does not make any difference. when I connect my graphic card with other computer at that time get same problem. how to fix this problem?
    I have read your problem. you have mentioned that your card does not with other computers also and that is why I think your graphic card is faulty. I will suggest you to return your graphic card to retailer and tell about your problem and then he will provide you solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerius View Post
    I have read your problem. you have mentioned that your card does not with other computers also and that is why I think your graphic card is faulty. I will suggest you to return your graphic card to retailer and tell about your problem and then he will provide you solution.
    I agree for the most part that in this case it could be that his card doesnt work.
    But if the other computers he tried them in do not meet the power requirements for the card then clearly the card will still not work in them.
    And in my experience most prebuilt systems such as Dell, HP, Even Asus only use a PSU that can power the system and any upgrade of a video card requires a new power supply.

But this card is having issues in the XPS 8300 systems for whatever reason.
    Be sure when you put the card in another system that it meets the Power requirements for the 680 which is 500w minimum. And even then if the system is over 6 months it may not be enough. I have had many systems appear to have a bad video card and it was nothing more then the PSU had dropped below power requirements after 6 months to a year. Mostly on system over a year old.

If you are sure all those checks have been made on these other systems that you have tried the card in then you can be sure its a bad card. If you havent done those checks then you may be wasting money if you are paying the return shipping because you may end up with the same card returned to you.
    Last edited by Abeeftec; 01-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Using a Corsair HW850W Power Supply and Dell XPS Studio 8300 and can confirm with two new EVGA GTX680 SC+ do not work. The signal does not transmit...

reverting back to an ATI 6950 for now in hopes of a Dell bios update. A07 anyone?