Thread: Micro Stuttering due to Sapphire HD 7970 x 2 Crossfire

Micro Stuttering due to Sapphire HD 7970 x 2 Crossfire

It seems to me that I have having problem with microstuttering with a pair of Sapphire HD 7970's. I am using AMD Catalyst 12.3 PRE-WHQL driver as well as CAP 12.1 cap3. I am running the AMD Catalyst 12.3 PRE-WHQL driver and CAP 12.1 cap3.
    • More stuttering problem I can notice is in Eclipse when I type or drag something in it.
    • Scrolling Chrome web browser also feels like rendering slowly

if I disable the crossfire, these problems go away. Sometime I can also notice stuttering in games. It happens with most of the games like BF3, ME3, Crysis 2, The witcher 2, F1 2011 etc. both cards are running at full clock speed. 3D mark and heaven benchmarks show 2 GPUs performance truly fine. So I still could not able to find out what actually the problem is.

Re: Micro Stuttering due to Sapphire HD 7970 x 2 Crossfire

I don’t think that you are having problem only with those 2 graphics card. I know that Microstuttering issue is mainly due to the cause of Graphic card but sometimes other components also makes sense here. Did you try disabling the cpu core parking. You also need to choose the high performance power option in control panel/power options. Furthermore make sure that pci express "link state power management is turned off in the power options.

The 7970 with good cooling will probably be a blockbuster, because of the overclocking options. This also benefits Crossfire. Just a pity that the cards are not inherently be in anyway, but only develop their potential by tuning. I understand anyway, why AMD is still on the poor cooling solutions.. But only problem is that the ATX standard allows no axial fan because the air can be made out from the housing needs. And axial fans are just in such consumption is extremely limited. NV does not adhere to the specification, to the benefit of the normal user has a good case ventilation is but just to the ATX standard.

The single-GPU rendering is 5 frames in 100 ms, which corresponds to 50 frames per second. The multi-GPU system provides 8 frames in 100 ms - that is 80 FPS. However, the frames follow the Crossfire operation is not at equal intervals. The slowest frames appear at a distance of 20 ms (corresponding to 50 frames per second) the fastest at intervals of 5 ms (equivalent to 200 FPS) for the predecessor. However, our perception is based on the slow frames, so the frame rate would be felt in our example correspond probably more like 50 FPS, 80 FPS, not calculated. The problem described is different depending on the game.

I think that the problem is with the either one of the card. You have to check the each card separately. You have to do the benchmark and stress test on each card when installed lonely. Otherwise I assume that it is might be the cause of outdated drivers or Direct X.

It must be noted that the multi-GPU implementations home from AMD and NVIDIA have to continue to suffer from the problems of micro stuttering, of course, always depending on the application and it act sometimes better and sometimes worse. In practice, this means above all that they should be expelled from the average frame rates in charts, not with such dazzling constellations. Depending on the game, the "perceived" failure of the frame-rate multi-GPU systems is significantly lower than the benchmark results suggest.

In the beginning I was also getting the same issue and after the complete Windows update, no more stuttering. From past few months I haven’t done Windows update, now it’s all fine with my case. I can actually say that less stuttering but crossfire run at 50-70%. For scaling problem I configured everything to maximum in vide option for MSAA. These solutions are at least for my case. I have also heard that sometimes CPU bottlenecks crossfire scaling.