Thread: No sound in Apple TV running 5.0

No sound in Apple TV running 5.0

I have been using Apple TV which is hooked up to a projector using hdmi cable as well as to Cambridge Audio Azur 640R for audio using optical cable and everything was working fine but then since after updating it to 5.0 I am not getting any sound, I don’t know what went wrong with it, is there anyone who has faced the same or this issue is just in my case???

Re: No sound in Apple TV running 5.0

I have been using Apple TV which is hooked up to a projector using hdmi cable as well as to Cambridge Audio Azur 640R for audio using optical cable and everything was working fine but then since after updating it to 5.0 I am not getting any sound, I don’t know what went wrong with it, is there anyone who has faced the same or this issue is just in my case???
    I have not faced the same issue but then I can try to help you out with it, I just wanted to know that have you tried out doing a factory reset on the apple tv or changing some setting in the audio of the tv??? If not then check out these things and then post back the result hat you get for further help.

By now I have tried put the below solutions:
    • Factory reset
    • Trying out different audio setting of apple tv
    • Restarting it several time
    • Tested out the receiver using other device as well

But then they have not yet helped, is there any other thing that I can try out to solve this issue???

Before suggesting you something about the same I just wanted to know the following things:
    1. What was the configuration that you were using before update to 5.0?
    2. Are you getting interface sound effects or there is simply no audio?
    3. What are you trying to play?
    4. Have you tried disconnecting HDMI and AirPlay some music to the Apple TV?

Just answer me these so that I can have a better idea of the issue you are facing and will try to help you out with the same.

Here are you answers:
    1. I am still using the same configuration that I was using previously and I don’t think that there is anything wrong with it as I have not yet changed the same.
    2. I am not getting any sound not even from the spdif-output even after having iTunes and the remote-app updated.
    3. I am trying to play a movie
    4. I have tried using the airplay option but then it did not help.

It seems as if the update has broken the Optical out, is there anything I can do about the same???

I will like to inform you that this issue was there with the following updates, where the Optical Out was getting ruined:

I don’t know why apple is not fixing it out, I have been facing the same issue with 5.0, I had bought the Apple TV for playing music but since output channels are not working I have bought a DAC so as to connect it to the amplifier, I doubt that apple will be fixing this out as well.

I am not very sure but then I just wanted to know that have you tried changing the below setting:
    • Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Digital to “on”
    • If that does not help then check out the amps and see if they are configured to auto or not, if it is manually configured then try changing the same to auto. You can also use the manual configuration but then setting it to dd and not something else.

Just check out the above things and then let me know if they are making any difference or not.