Thread: Automatic Mode Switching in Analog Tri-Mode Monitor

Automatic Mode Switching in Analog Tri-Mode Monitor

I have an Analog Tri-Mode Monitor at my shop and I am using it for past 3 weeks now. One thing I have noticed about it is that it does not go into power saving mode, standby mode or active mode automatically. I can switch it manually but when I am not around, the monitor remains in the present state for long time. So if it is in active mode, it will remain in active mode until someone manually switches it. This leads to more than necessary power consumption. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to set it to automatic switching, is there some switch or do I need to run some code for it?

Re: Automatic Mode Switching in Analog Tri-Mode Monitor

Some multi-sync monitors use jumpers to switch between the power modes that you have mentioned. It seems that the monitors you use don’t have this jumper in its design. If your monitor has jumper in it, then you can manually connect them to create the auto switching between them. Using a wire, create a 3 way connection between these jumpers and place it in a convenient location in the cabinet. If you can do this, then it is obvious that you will have knowledge of constructing and programming a PCB. Construct a PCB that measures KHz and place it in the 3 way connection. Program its frequency to switch between the desired modes.

I too have a multi-sync monitor without default function for switching modes. I have programmed my Arduino micro controller using which I have programmed it to detect the sync mode through VGA. It helps in switching of mode as well as maintains the other settings. To control the fluctuation in frequency, I am using a potentiometer. You can also use GroovyMAME to work along with microcontroller. Using it you wouldn’t need to physically measure horizontal frequencies. GroovyMAME will also help in front-end switching of monitor.

Most of the Tri-sync monitors don’t have function for auto switching but dual resolution doesn’t have by default. To switch the modes by using frequency, I use input capture module found on the MCU timers. I suggest you that you try measuring them first before switching. It is more efficient method than using PC controllers. If the currents are outrageous then you will need to use hefty relay switchers. If the voltage reaches the peak value and the frequencies reach out of the recommended range then, hefty relay switchers can be used to create an internal arcing. If you have a good knowledge of monitors, then you can use MOSFETs to the switching.

If you use micro-controllers to measure frequency instead of PC controllers, then you will be able to have a monitor that can switch between multiple PCBs. If you add a real arcade PCB to your monitor, then it will be a nice feature added to it.

The tri-sync monitors can’t have a ‘native resolution’ when linked for modern arcade game. If it supports 120 Hz vertical refresh then it will doublescan each line. This might spoil the original scan line render in some games. For your knowledge, 31 kHz is just normal 640x480 60Hz progressive VGA. The monitor will also support SVGA resolution, that is, 800 X 600 which is default in Windows XP. You don’t need any special hardware to display 31 kHz graphics. For other native resolutions, graphic cards by ATI and Nvidia will do.

According to my knowledge, the only modern monitor that has normal channels and provide low resolution modes is the tri-sync analog produced by Makvision. They provide refresh rate of 30 for horizontal scanning and 120 for vertical scanning. Even the monitors manufactured by Betson have a good resolution of 800 X 600 at refresh rate of 15 to 38 kHz.

If you have the monitor that is in out-of-box condition, then you will need to tweak some things before you create the jumper for switching between modes the monitor. You will need to adjust the brightness and contrast as it will be higher than expected. The geometry of the objects will also be uneven which you will need to change. Sometimes the display is rotated away from the default angle; you will need to check it. It the picture is rotated in angle of degree that is not a multiple of 90, and then you should get it changed from manufacturer. If the compression rate of the display is below 15 kHz, then you need to get it changed. The compression rate in normal working condition must be 25-35 kHz.

Another factor that you need to take care for proper display is that of the ambient light of the environment in which the monitor will be placed. If the room in which you are placing this monitor is dark, then you will need to keep the brightness low. Similarly, in a well lighted room, you will need to keep the brightness high. While lowering the brightness, lower the darkness, till the black color is black and doesn’t mix with in shadows in the game. If the black color and shadows are mixed, there will be a good amount of detail loss. When turning the brightness high, see to it that, the white color remains white and doesn’t give a shine. Also the RGB balance must be maintained.