Thread: Nvidia GeForce GT 540M w/ Optimus crashing constantly

sad Nvidia GeForce GT 540M w/ Optimus crashing constantly

Hello everybody. I just bought a new laptop after 4 years of somehow joyous experience with an Acer. I decided it was time to upgrade to newer generation technology, so i decided to go with Asus N53SV:

- Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU@2,20 GHz
    - 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD
    - 8 GB DDR3 1333MHz, 2/4 slots available
    - of course, nVIDIA GT 540M with Optimus Technology

The laptop came with a 4GB memory module as a gift, and i decided to buy ANOTHER memory module just like the one they gave me as a gift (Silicon Power brand) so i would make use of 16GB ram. They were so cool about it they even mounted it on the motherboard in front of me and checked with BIOS to be sure it's recognized.
    I went home and started to install the drivers with the Asus app on the CD that came in the box (on Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1). I made a system restore point before installing anything, just to be sure i can roll back if anything happens during the install. The ASUS app on the CD is so crappy as it reboots your computer after almost each driver. So the first drivers to be installed was one of the 2 VGAs, and i'm pretty sure it's the driver for Intel HD Graphics. The OS was rebooted and after 5seconds of windows i got a BSOD. Got into safe mode, rolled back with system restore, and decided to start over. Happened again. Decided to install everything on the CD except the VGAs. It went well, no BSODs. Made a restore point and tried again with the VGA drivers, BSOD again. I tried everything, from installing the drivers from the Asus support site or Intel/nVIDIA sites to installing the drivers with Windows Update, but still got the BSOD. Decided to check on the memory modules. I removed them one by one and turns out that one of the two Silicon Power modules gives the BSODs. So i remained with 12GB and succesfully installed the VGAs drivers witout BSOD. Everything went well for a few hours until something else happened. The display started to flicker and the sound went crazy (OS freezed). The only way to stop it is to turn it off by the power button and restart. I tried updating the drivers to the latest available but it didn't make a difference. The thing still happens constantly and I'm starting to freak out cause I need to work on my diploma on the laptop.

Any solutions?
    PLEASE help.
    Thank you!

Re: Nvidia GeForce GT 540M w/ Optimus crashing constantly

Looks like some kind of issue with incompatible drivers. What is the error message you receive on blue screen. Provide the number here so that it will be easier to find what is the issue about. Basically blue screen are cause due to ram. They can because of incompatible ram sticks.

i am now running on the original memory modules (2x4gb) and i have no problems whatsoever. but i will need 16GB when processing hd video.

the bsods:

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F8DE20, 0x0, 0xA7)
    Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    /
    Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002CAD46E, 0xFFFFF88009F77CB0, 0x0)
    Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    /
    Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x3, 0xFFFFF8A001D85010, 0xF8A001D85010FFFF, 0xFFFFF8A001D85010)
    Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER

This file is responsible for proper windows bookt. It is the kernal image of operating system which provides support to various hardware and system process. So in word this is an important part of your system. If this file is effected your system will not boot properly. The cause of corruption can be bad sector, corrupt boot.ini file, missing boot.ini file, etc. You have to checkout the ram by removing it one by one testing each of them individually.