Thread: NVIDIA GeForce 9800S is not getting detected

NVIDIA GeForce 9800S is not getting detected

Yesterday I found that the Nvidia icon on my task bar was appearing to be in the power saving mode and when I checked it out then I found that the system was using the SLI card and not the 9800S, so I reinstalled the driver thinking that it will solve the issue but the I found the installation wizard said that there was no compatible hardware, I don’t know what is the issue all about is there anyone who can help me out??

Re: NVIDIA GeForce 9800S is not getting detected

Yesterday I found that the Nvidia icon on my task bar was appearing to be in the power saving mode and when I checked it out then I found that the system was using the SLI card and not the 9800S, so I reinstalled the driver thinking that it will solve the issue but the I found the installation wizard said that there was no compatible hardware, I don’t know what is the issue all about is there anyone who can help me out??
    There are possibilities that the card might be dead, anyways just let me know the specification of the system that you are having, other than this also let me know the solutions that you have tried so far so that I don’t suggest you the same as it will be waste of time, just post the specs for further help.

In my case I am having HP Firebird 802 and its specification is as followed:]
    • Processor-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.66 GHz
    • RAM- 4.0 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    • Storage- 2.0 x 250.0 GB - Hot-swap - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm
    • Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9800S
    • Operating System- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

I think that the system in your case seems to be installing onboard graphics, I have found some people having similar case and in order to solve the same just go in to the device manager and after that uninstall the onboard graphic card driver and after that just re-boot the machine and then install latest Nvidia drivers for your graphic card and then it should work fine, just try it out and then let me know if it is making any difference.

I have tried doing the same but the I have found that it was automatically reinstalling nVidia Nforce760 SLI, I think that it is doing that after the reboot, I don’t know why I am not able to find out any sign of the 9800 in my system, other than this I have also tried to disable the nVidia Nforce760 SLI and even it did not helped and the issue is the same, is there any other solution that I can try out??? Any further help for this will be appreciated.

Ok, I just wanted to know if you have tried out the program by which the graphics card automatically gets detected and also tells you about the current driver?? If not then try out the same and see what you are getting, I have checked out the HP Firebird 802 and I have not found them mentioning any onboard graphics. So what’s your case??

I have checked out on a DXDiaga and it is listing nForce 760 SLI and as far as the program is concerned they are able to detect the graphic card well without any issues, I have checked out a no of nVidia programs and they detected the card on the machine, Other than this Google GPU-Z as well and got the same positive response from it, is there anything else that I can try out??

As far as I am aware the Nvidia’s latest driver is the GeForce driver version 266.58 and I think that it should get installed on the Firebird's GPU's without any issues, I have found that this driver is also there for nForce 760i SLI motherboard GPU entries but then I have not yet found them for the GeForce 9800 S discrete GPU entries in the NV_DISP.INF info, I think that you if you will be able to install the 266.58 driver making a Custom(Advanced) install and after that making a Clean Install selections will help you in finding out the 9800 S GPU's, just try it out and then let me know if you are able to do so or not. Best of luck.

I have tried installing a no of GeForce display driver which was released by the Nvidia since the Nvidia had added the support for Firebird's 9800 S GPU but then they did not helped, now I have installed Version 266.58a and it got installed without any issues and I did not had to modify the NV_DISP.INF Display Information file as well but then now I have edited the NV_DISP.INF file to have the 9800 S GPU entries and the driver versions like 270.61, 275.33, and 280.26 are working fine without any issue where as the driver versions 285.62, 290.36, and 290.53 are making the Nvidia Control Panel partially broken, wht can be done now??