Thread: DVI ports won't work

DVI ports won't work

Hi, i have Intel 2160 CPU and wanted to overclock my system to increase the performance. For that i bought the Gigabyte EP45-DS3P motherboard. This motherboard doesn’t support the flash drive booting so i had to use old IDE drive to install the windows. After that i used some of the applications to overclock my CPU to 2.25GHZ. this overclocking also increased the windows rating from 4.7 to 5.9. as i was getting late to sleep so i let it download and then automatically install the updates and then went to sleep. When i woke up in the morning there was no signal on the screen. I tried rebooting the system but that didn’t solve the problem. I have Nvidia 9800 GTX card on board which replaced to see if that is causing the problem and i put ATI 2400 HD inside but again i was not able to get the signal screen. DVI port on both of the card are not working for me. When i tried plugging into the VGA port it worked for me! I thought it was the DVI cable and took my DVI to VGA adapter and connected it but it failed again. So this doesn’t look problem with my cable nor with my card so what might be creating this problem?

Re: DVI ports won't work

Ok,Check this for trouble shooting your problem:
    1. Go to device manager and uninstall the monitor from there
    2. If it shows your monitor as a “Generic PnP monitor” then uninstall the driver software.
    3. Now reboot your system. Sometimes windows update also installs driver software for monitor and that may be causing this problem to your system.

I had never heard of such a problem before. As only DVI port is not working in your case that makes me think that it is a software problem. I f you are using the windows 7 operating system and if it supports two graphic cards then you should use one monitor with VGA port of one 1 graphic card and another monitor with DVI port of another card. After completing this setup boot your system and see what windows find.

Are you using both of the cable to connect the same monitor? Then your system might be thinking that you have two monitors instead of one monitor. I have seen one user making this mistake before. he was using both VGA and DVI cables at same time to connect the monitor.

No, i was not using VGA and DVI simultaneously and i was using them one at a time. If i plug my monitor on the DVI port then i can’t even use my computer as it shows no display. I used my friend’s VGA monitor and tried using DVI converter on it but it didn’t work on it. It worked when i used VGA port. This also means that my video cards don’t have bad DVI ports. Then finally when i uninstalled the monitor from windows hardware profile DVI ports of both the cards started working!

I have Acer S231HL monitor, windows automatically downloads driver for my monitor with several versions like analog, digital and HDMI. Which i think corresponds to VGA, DVI and HDMI respectively. The analog drivers are chosen by default even if i am using DVI port. Go to windows update and hide these monitor updates from there. As these additional updates might have cause this problem.

I checked the windows updates for my monitor and it showed only 1 update of 22kb but even such a small update could cost me this problem. I would not install it again and just use my monitor as “Generic PnP” monitor. Now that i have solved this problem and installed my graphics card properly , i am getting windows experience index rating as 7.