Thread: How to configure ATI Rage 128 video driver ‘r128’ on Power Mac G4 Cube powered by Ubuntu

How to configure ATI Rage 128 video driver ‘r128’ on Power Mac G4 Cube powered by Ubuntu

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on PowerPC G4 Cube. This particular installer configured with xorg.conf with the video driver r128 which is not loading GUI. After editing xorg.conf device section in order to use the fbdev driver I managed to boot into the GUI desktop of the Ubuntu Gnome.
    I noticed that display depth of the fbdev is defaults to 8 and any changes made into the DefaultColorDepth into xorg.conf makes faulire of GUI loading. I noticed that r128 driver is loading properly and find the ATI Rage 128 Pro board as well as chipset without having any issue. is there any one has successfully used "r128" driver and ATI Rage 128 Pro card on the powerpc? Let me know if you are having xorg.conf file which is working flawlessly with PowerPc and card?

Re: How to configure ATI Rage 128 video driver ‘r128’ on Power Mac G4 Cube powered by Ubuntu

Well I am having G4 Cube running with ATI Rage 128 video device. The working part of the xorg.conf file as follow.
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Horizsync 28-51
    Vertrefresh 43-60
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

<snip>
    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection
    Also there is need of edit /etc/yaboot.conf flle by simply changing append line which read nosplash in quiet splash at the end of the part of image image=/boot/vmlinux and image=/boot/vmlinux.old section of the file.
    Code:
    sudo ybin -v -C /etc/yaboot.conf

Re: How to configure ATI Rage 128 video driver ‘r128’ on Power Mac G4 Cube powered by Ubuntu

After going through the issue of yours I am suggesting that you should add following lines into the Device Section.
    Code:
    Option "UseFBDev" "false"
    Option "NoInt10" "true"
    In order to make the thing working for me there is need of adding keyboard and mouse.
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

I used all most all the kind of xorg.conf files on my iMac G3 350 (ATI) after adding below mentioned line into Device section.

Code:
    Option "NoInt10" "true"