Thread: Best PSU for my Crossfire 6870x2

Best PSU for my Crossfire 6870x2

Hey friends, I would like to tell you all that at last I am done with my new system configuration with a tight and heavy budget. As I ended up with a new video card i.e. powercolor 6870x2 (duel gpu 6870), I came up with a new doubt and confusion. I am completely out of idea whether how much wattage PSU will I need to get this new 6870x2 crossfire video card run. I was supposed to settle down with 850 wattage PSU but then I thought to clarify it with you people.
    Here is my current rig specification:

• phenom 960t-cpu HEAVILY overclocked
    • msi 870a fuzion-mobo
    • scsi raid card

Drivers:-

• 1tb sata II drive.
    • 4x scsi 10k

Re: Best PSU for my Crossfire 6870x2

It would feel quite strange but anyways, rather than suggesting you for some good heavy PSU I would recommend you not to go for the 6870x2 crossfire as I personally believe that quad crossfire are not so good with respect to the performance. The increase in the performance is not so good when scaled pass two cards at the time. To see the actual performance you need to look into the artificial benchmark. Better you go for a single crossfire.

Looking into your specifications I can easily make out that your CPU is heavily overclocked. So anyhow you will definitely require a heavy wattage PSU than what you were expecting for your dual crossfire powercolor graphic card. Overclocked CPU obviously need a high wattage of power supply and above over it if you are suppose to have new 6870x2 crossfire graphic card then definitely the expected wattage of PSU also increases. I think as per you guessed 850W is quite enough for your whole system to get decent amount of power supply.

Yes even I agree, an 850W PSU for your rig would be easily able to handle maximum load at a time. And as per your gaming is considered, gaming load will be all over under the ability of 850W. The peak draw of a stock HD 6870x2 at 250 watts was measured by TechPowerUp.

Hey friends not yet built a my system, but planned all the way.

• AMD Phenom II x4 955
    • MSI 890 GXM-GD65
    • ATI HD6870 1GB X 2 Crossfire

As mentioned above I have got 2 6870 crossfire and also bought Corsair TX 750W PSU in order to get appropriate power supply. But I am not sure whether it is fair enough to go for this PSU in order to create no problems regarding the power supply. I also have a GTX 460, as I was using it in my older system. Now I need to know from you people that whether should go forward with ATI 6870 crossfire or stick back to GTX 460 for this PSU.

Thank you friend, I seriously didn’t consider my overclocked CPU under consideration. Now I too feel that not 850W but I should go for further more watts PSU of around 950-1000 watts.
    I will try to calculate the overclock on my processor, expecting to draw around 130-150 @ 4.5 with all cores unlocked.

This PSU would be absolutely fine with both the graphic cards, would provide plenty of watts. But just to provide you with some information I would like to tell you that your motherboard will not be doing SLI. I would suggest you to go for the SLI with GTX 460. With 2 GTX 460 1GB you can get far more and better performance along with the all other thing like physx, yet they are not highly necessary.

This PSU can undoubtedly handle either of the card more conveniently. In fact on the other hand you can also try out other activities like overclocking your processor.

I planned to go for either crossfire or SLI and if I did so then definitely I will not be changing my system for the next coming 2 or 3 years no matter if I am forced to slow down or reduce the resolution or compromise on AA or AF. Just to be future proof with SATA 3 and graphic card I am doing so. I may also go MSI 890 FX-GD70 for better performance.

Even I chose 6870 crossfire for building up my rig. Initially I started up with AMD 5850 but then I turn on to SLI after I got to know about the launching of GTX 460. I came to know that the components are more costly than selecting crossfire in case if I go for SLI routes.

But now if 6870 crossfire came up then I thought to better go on with crossfire. Also heard that all of these are directx 11 cards. So with respect to supporting and performance the directx 11 games, the review of these cards have been the best so far. And these reviews made to go for them.