Thread: Getting Flickering and Dithering effect on Blacks/Greys via HDMI on 24” Full HD Samsung S24A350 PC Monitor

Getting Flickering and Dithering effect on Blacks/Greys via HDMI on 24” Full HD Samsung S24A350 PC Monitor

I am having a xobx and I am using it with 24” Full HD Samsung S24A350 PC Monitor via HDMI but then I have found that the blacks and greys area is giving Flickering and Dithering effect, I think that there is something wrong with the monitor, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about solving it out?? Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Getting Flickering and Dithering effect on Blacks/Greys via HDMI on 24” Full HD Samsung S24A350 PC Monitor

I am having a xobx and I am using it with 24” Full HD Samsung S24A350 PC Monitor via HDMI but then I have found that the blacks and greys area is giving Flickering and Dithering effect, I think that there is something wrong with the monitor, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about solving it out?? Any help regarding this will be appreciated.
    Yes even I have found the same on my 24” Full HD TV but then I am having a 32” HD Ready TV as well and I don’t find the same issue with it, I have been using the same by now but then I will like to know if there is a workaround that we can try out to get rid of the Flickering and Dithering effect, The other thing that I wanted to share is that I don’t think that this is some kind of hardware issue with the monitor but then I than that is a scaling issue when we are using Xbox 360 with them.

Re: Getting Flickering and Dithering effect on Blacks/Greys via HDMI on 24” Full HD Samsung S24A350 PC Monitor

As far as I am aware if you both are talking about the pixel-sized checkerboard pattern then I will like to inform you that this is because of the frame-rate control which does the work of dithering in order to simulate some more shades which might not be supported by the panel natively. I have checked about the same and I have found that it is so to force the process of improving gradation in order to give it more precision but then the problem here is that the alignment of the liquid crystal will get affected. I think that it appears when you will look at it closely and it is not that noticeable from a playing distance.

As far as I am aware if you both are talking about the pixel-sized checkerboard pattern then I will like to inform you that this is because of the frame-rate control which does the work of dithering in order to simulate some more shades which might not be supported by the panel natively. I have checked about the same and I have found that it is so to force the process of improving gradation in order to give it more precision but then the problem here is that the alignment of the liquid crystal will get affected. I think that it appears when you will look at it closely and it is not that noticeable from a playing distance.
    Yes you have said it right that it appears when we take a closer look at it and not when we are playing from a distance but then I just wanted to know that isn’t there a solution to solve this out?? I have a doubt because I have been looking after a solution for this but then I have not yet got any luck.

I don’t think that there is a solution to fix it out because it is a common artifact when we play games that need to be rendered at 720 or below. I have found that when we play games with the 360 set to output 1080 then we can just set the output to 720 and this helps in handling the scaling to some extent but then the problem is not solved completely, I don’t think that there will be a possible solution to end this because the black gradient artifacts has been a common issue with the 360 and they have hardly looked in to this matter by now.

I was just going through some forums and I have found that this Flickering and Dithering effect is not the issue with the FRC but then I have founds that it happens in windows as well, so I think that this is not just an issue with the Xbox but then it is appearing to be a common issue with the monitor, I wish that there could have been a solution to get rid of this completely but by then you all can try to use different issue and avoid it to some extent.

I have found one more thing about this issue, I have just tried using a different HDMI cable and after connecting it with the TV I am able to see the black flickering as well and now the issue is getting really worse, will there be a solution to solve this out??