Thread: 2nd generation apple tv setup is switching off the tv

2nd generation apple tv setup is switching off the tv

I have recently bought 2nd generation apple tv and I have connected it to the dell tv with the help of hdmi to dvi cable, I have found that the tv is not having hdmi input but then the I have checked out on the apple website and it says that hmdi to dvi cable should work with the 2nd generation apple tv, When I am selecting the dvi input for my tv then I am getting a 'no video to display' message and after that tv goes in to the stand-by, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well??

Re: 2nd generation apple tv setup is switching off the tv

I have recently bought 2nd generation apple tv and I have connected it to the dell tv with the help of hdmi to dvi cable, I have found that the tv is not having hdmi input but then the I have checked out on the apple website and it says that hmdi to dvi cable should work with the 2nd generation apple tv, When I am selecting the dvi input for my tv then I am getting a 'no video to display' message and after that tv goes in to the stand-by, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well??
    Before I suggest you anything I will like to know that on which apple site you have found that the hmdi to dvi cable should work with the 2nd generation apple tv??? If possible just post the source here so I can check it out because as far as I know it won’t work.

I have referred to this site and, I also wanted to share that I am not that sure about the hdcp support in my tv but then I think it is having the 720p capable, just check the above link and help me out with the same, any further help will be appreciated.

I have checked the same and I was right according to the link that you have posted above says that the Apple TV 1 supports DVI and the same is not supported by the Apple TV 2, I am not very sure if someone has made it work in some circumstances but then I will surely check it out, Just tell me if your TV support HDCP and 720p or not?? Just make sure it does not support 1080p and so.

I have found a workaround for the same but then I am not very sure if it works, actually this solution was mentioned in a forum where one person has mentioned that it worked out for him, if you want then you can try out the below solution:
    • Get a HDMI Switch and a 24AWG cable and then plug the new HDMI to HDMI cable into the apple tv 2 and then make a switch
    • After that just connect the HDMI to DVI cable which you had used previously in to the tv in order to get the video part
    • Also make sure that you are plugging the RCA into the TV in order to get the audio from the switch and after that just run the video and audio directly and make sure that you are not running it through the audio system
    • When you are done with the above steps then just turn the switch “on” followed by the ATV2 and then the tv, also check that you are having 720P resolution and then play any movie and.

Juts check it out and then let me know if it works for you as well or not.

Hey thanks for that I will try it out and will let you know if it works for me or not, actually I would have tried it out today itself but then I am not having the HDMI Switch and a 24AWG cable, anyways thanks to you for your help so far, I really appreciate it.