Thread: Best set up for Thunderbolt display, laptop and iMac with dual screen setup.

Best set up for Thunderbolt display, laptop and iMac with dual screen setup.

I want a new setup for my office as well as home. So I think 27” iMac will be fine, with a powerful configuration of CPU. I want to create a dual monitor setup because I am having two giant monitor and I also want to combine it with iMac 27” cinema display or Thunderbolt Display. For the home I want a laptop and want to match it with Thunderbolt display. iMac is having two Thunderbolt ports, so I can connect laptop and display in the respective ports. So all the devices will be connected with each other.
    My question is, the setting that I mentioned, OK? And, if all the facility provided by these peripheral is possible to use with? If possible then how can I connect all these devices?

Re: Best set up for Thunderbolt display, laptop and iMac with dual screen setup.

I am also having these peripheral for the setting you want and also want the same setup but it seems not working. Because of lack of support as in which order these equipments will be arranged. I keep my iMac machine in close proximity that is Target Display Mode as another display mode when using my MacBook Pro and both with dual display. If you have to choose between the Base Model of iMac and Thunderbolt display then what work, you are dealing with, will tell the slight difference between them. If you want to know, how iMac reporting itself on Thunderbolt platform then the answer could be its Operating System and the drivers.

Re: Best set up for Thunderbolt display, laptop and iMac with dual screen setup.

The configuration and the setup, you are talking about, are very useful in office, home at the road. My configuration too lies somewhere in between and it is very useful while working. Currently I am having 27 inch iMac and 13 inch MacBook Air and I am doing lots of my work at home but now it is my requirement to work on road while walking and in the park, overall mean is to make it portable. If my working files are synchronized by any available software then I’ll keep it in my Laptop. Whenever I’ll be at home, I can use my laptop as a external hard drive for iMac via Thunderbolt connection. My plan is take one more 27” thunderbolt display so that I can drive everything of the iMac in either way.

In this set up, it is very useful to do the work at any place without transferring anything from any of the devices. Simply attach one device to other and work and save it to its original place and next time you will find everything in a system manner. Thunderbolt connection will give you fast access and iMac keep your data for you at the home and laptop carry all the information and working file in the office. In this way your working file will be at one place but 3 different places. The only thing is the model you want to buy, should be compatible with each other.