Thread: Is it possible to share Thunderbolt display between a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro?

Is it possible to share Thunderbolt display between a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro?

I am having a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro and I have recently bought a Thunderbolt and I wanted to know that is it possible to share Thunderbolt display between a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro? I am willing to connect the MacBook to the Thunderbolt and then connecting the MacMini through the Thunderbolt / power cable that comes from the Thunderbolt.Is there anyone who can help me out with the same, any suggestions regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it possible to share Thunderbolt display between a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro?

I am having a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro and I have recently bought a Thunderbolt and I wanted to know that is it possible to share Thunderbolt display between a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro? I am willing to connect the MacBook to the Thunderbolt and then connecting the MacMini through the Thunderbolt / power cable that comes from the Thunderbolt.Is there anyone who can help me out with the same, any suggestions regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    As far as I am aware of these you won’t be able to do the same because the pot that is at the back of the Thunderbolt is just for the transfer of data and it won’t support video. You can connect a external hard disk . The cable that is attached to it is for Thunderbolt and in order to use the other pc you will have to disconnect the one attached to it and then connect the one you want to use. Hope that helps.

Re: Is it possible to share Thunderbolt display between a 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro?

I was thinking of the same but then wanted to clear it out. The other thing that I wanted to know is that can I use a cable to connect MacMini to the Thunderbolt cable with a help of connector that can join both of them and so??? Actually I was thinking of keeping the MacMini below and then use a cable till the display and then swap the cable from the display that will come from the MacMini. Is it possible to do so??

I think that you can get an extension cable in order to run it from the MacMini and extend it to the MacBook after that you can use the display cable to the same location and I think that both pots will work fine here. I have found one doing the same but then there is some kind of unknown problem that were mentioned by the same guy later. It was that he was not able to control the brightness control, audio, camera, You won’t face the same with if it is controlled over the Thunderbolt's data connection and it is somewhat same as that of the Cinema Display model. If you had planned to do so then you would have better got a Cinema Display rather than getting the Thunderbolt Display.

As far as I am aware of these you won’t be able to do the same because the pot that is at the back of the Thunderbolt is just for the transfer of data and it won’t support video. You can connect a external hard disk . The cable that is attached to it is for Thunderbolt and in order to use the other pc you will have to disconnect the one attached to it and then connect the one you want to use. Hope that helps.
    I don’t think that you are right I mean it is having PCIe (data) as well as DisplayPort (video):

I have found this as well:

Where the MacBook Pro is connected to the first thunderbolt and the other thunderbolt is connected to the first one, so it means that it is having the PCIe (data) as well as DisplayPort (video)

I was going to say the same and if you still have a doubt then you can check out the same on apple site as well, just check it out here. The other thing that I wanted to know as per the starting question is that are the 2011 MacMini And 2011 MacBook Pro having the Thunderbolt capabilities, if you have then you can try out the way you are thinking and if not then you won’t be able to do the same

Guys the details you have specified is for connecting 2 thunderbolts to the MacMini or the MacBook Pro but then in my case I am looking to connect a MacMini and MacBook Pro to a single thunderbolt. So I just wanted to know will it possible or not?? Or is there anyone who have tried out the same and can help me out with it???