Thread: Thunderbolt Display fan keeps on running when connected to Macbook Pro 15 in sleep mode

Thunderbolt Display fan keeps on running when connected to Macbook Pro 15 in sleep mode

I have recently bought a Thunderbolt Display and I have connected it to the Macbook Pro 15 and the problem that I have found is that when the Macbook is going in to the sleep mode then the Thunderbolt Display fan keeps on running and make loud noise as well and while the Macbook goes in to the sleep mode then the Thunderbolt Display turns black and appears to be turned off as well. The macbook does not appear to be having any problem and it sleeps well. When I wake up the Macbook then everything goes well and the fan also runs with the normal silent noise. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Thunderbolt Display fan keeps on running when connected to Macbook Pro 15 in sleep mode

I have recently bought a Thunderbolt Display and I have connected it to the Macbook Pro 15 and the problem that I have found is that when the Macbook is going in to the sleep mode then the Thunderbolt Display fan keeps on running and make loud noise as well and while the Macbook goes in to the sleep mode then the Thunderbolt Display turns black and appears to be turned off as well. The macbook does not appear to be having any problem and it sleeps well. When I wake up the Macbook then everything goes well and the fan also runs with the normal silent noise. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    Yes I am having the same problem in my case as well, even I have connected the Thunderbolt Display with my imac and when the imac is in the sleep mode than the fans sounds to run faster and they make loud noise as well. Other than this I have also found that it does the same when the imac is turned off but is still connected to the Thunderbolt Display. I have also noticed that when the imac is not connected and when I plug the Thunderbolt to power than again the fan starts running at louder noise even though the screen is off. I think that there is some problem going on but then I am not able to track out the cause of it. Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

Re: Thunderbolt Display fan keeps on running when connected to Macbook Pro 15 in sleep mode

I am having the exact problem with the Thunderbolt and the Macbook air, I am getting the same response from it, I mean that when the Macbook air is not connected to it and when I plug it to power then the fans starts roaring and as soon as I connect it to the Macbook air then they again run with the normal speed. I am getting the same response when the Macbook air is in the sleep mode or when is turned off but is still connected with the Thunderbolt. I am not sure if this is some kind of problem but then I think that it is very irritating and I want to solve it out somehow.

I think that you all should try to update the firmware to EFI update and see if it is helping you out because I have found some people who have mentioned that the EFI update has solved out some of the problems that they were having with the Thunderbolt. So just check it out and see if it really does the same in your case or not. If it helps then let me know as well. Best of luck.

I don’t think that it does because I have done that before and it was the very first thing that I have tried out but did not had any luck wi8ht it either, is there any other solution that I can try out to solve the issue?? Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

Hey you can try to rest the pram and the SMC and see if it is making any difference:
    SMC reset

Zap the PRAM

I don’t think that the above solution actually works because I had tried the same when I was having this problem and I was suggested to do the same by the apple support as well but then it was not making any difference, They had said me to get it back to the store and the will check it out and I did the same and after checking it they gave me a replacement without any further questions and answer. So I think that there is some serious issue and getting it replaced will be a better idea but then just contact the apple support and see what they have to say, I am sure that they will be aware of the same already because many people have reported the same.

Yes even I have tried out the same and it is really not making any difference in my case as well, I think that trying it out was just a waste of time, is there any other solution that I can try out???