Thread: Compatibility between Apple display and Thunderbolt.

Compatibility between Apple display and Thunderbolt.

Here I have heard that Thunderbolt technology uses chips as a controller to merge internal PCI and Display port signal to the two bi-directional 10GB/s channel to the Display or any drive. That means that Thunderbolt technology is compatible with only that drive with Intel controller inside. And Apple Display is running through Thunderbolt technology that means they already have this controller. My question is that the Thunderbolt technology is working fine with old Apple laptop so is it possible that it works on the old Apple display o I have to buy an adapter for that?

Re: Compatibility between Apple display and Thunderbolt.

You have just read the review about the Thunderbolt Display but you didn’t understand the concept of Thunderbolt. Let me explain it for you, Thunderbolt has two pipes one is graphics pipe and another one is data pipe. Graphics pipe is used for current display and with the current monitor, there is no data pipe.

In short, most of the first version is compatible with mini Display connection, that’s why it is working fine with the most of the older Apple monitor which is having mini DisplayPort.

If you want to use Thunderbolt to your mini display so you need mini display cable for the same. Only Thunderbolt cable can’t support mini display. You can solve this problem by upgrading the OS X Lion or you can buy the Apple adapter and kindly upgrade the Thunderbolt with latest firmware. And try to check every time, if the latest version of firmware came then download it and update your Thunderbolt as well as your mini display.

For all the high performance component in a Mac, there is a technology known as PCI Express that link all. And thunderbolt also having the same technology and that means you can add external devices like RAID arrays and video capture solution directly to your Mac. To the peripheral, Thunderbolt also provides 10 watts of power. You can connect to the existing USB, FireWire, Gigabyte Ethernet and Fiber channel network by just using simple adapters.