Thread: Screen flickering and fan failure in Radeon 4870 X2

Screen flickering and fan failure in Radeon 4870 X2

Got a Radeon 4870 X2 a while before. And currently i am having severe problems playing a few games. I have begun playing elder scrolls skyrim this weekend and it's unplayable within this state. Concerning 2 minutes into the game the display starts flickering white as well as black screens. Following regarding 15 minutes my graphics card fan stops functioning and presently stands still. I must shut down my computer and hang around for 5 minutes to get it back live. Any fix?

Re: Screen flickering and fan failure in Radeon 4870 X2

I also have a HD4870X2, and if I do not mount the fan of CG at least 45% when I want to play it overheated in less than 5 minutes and crashes the computer.

Fortunately you can configure profiles that are activated when launching a game.

I have measured the noise maps using a sound level meter placed at 5 cm perpendicular to the fan, all the other fans of the configuration being arrested at the time of measurement. Reasonably quiet at rest, the Radeon HD 4870 X2 is unsurprisingly noisy support, since the fan wakes up, which is quite fast. However, it should be noted that if the GeForce GTX 280 is quite noisy at rest, the latest bios and latest drivers significantly improve the noise of the card once in charge, which is very acceptable (while s' proving to unbearable before).

Remains is to wait a bit for two reasons: one driver 'not beta' (which probably correct bugs on the type of Flight Sim X), and a manufacturer makes a cooler with an efficient, silent. But still she just takes the place of the GX 280 on all points: The most powerful, most expensive, consumes the most. But is that the 'power saving is disabled in the driver and that current consumption / heat / noise, should significantly reduce the output of a dedicated driver.

AMD introduced the test a beta version of the upcoming Catalyst 8.8 video driver available. This seems also to all other testers to work, but not in our system with Windows Vista 32bit. If the driver does not crash during the installation and led to an immediate reboot, it caused at least in the regular restart a "Blue Screen" with a subsequent reset of the system. The cause of this problem could be resolved by AMD unfortunately neither of us.

The overclocking of the Radeon HD 4870 X2 failed, unfortunately - probably due to the older driver. Even at the slightest increase in the chip clock, for example from 750 to 760 MHz, were immediately on screen error and no later than three seconds later the crash was perfect.

Although I am new to this forum, but maybe I can help you anyway. I had the same problem with my 4870 X2. When playing Crysis always some trees and shrubs have flared. The problem is apparently the Catalyst 8.10, which is a problem with the Catalyst AI. Once the function is disabled in the CCC, the flicker should be gone.