Thread: HDX X18-1200EO inverter failure/backlight failure.

HDX X18-1200EO inverter failure/backlight failure.

I have been using a lcd on my HDX X18-1200EO and I don’t know what has happened to it and I think that it has failed working and it has gone black and I am lucky that I am under the warranty so I will be getting it replaced but then I just wanted to know what exactly was the cause of it I mean that I have tried to find it out and I have found that in such cases inverter failure or a backlight failure are mainly found to be the reason but I am not sure about this in my case so is there a way to check it out in order to avoid such problem further and I also want to know that TDK TBD512NR inverter be a good choice for 18.4" LCD? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: HDX X18-1200EO inverter failure/backlight failure.

Before I suggest you something I will like to know that what are the symptoms that you have faced and then you came to the conclusion that the lcd has passed away and it will be good if you will explain the same in detail and I also want to know that what operating system you are using other than that I think that the TDK TBD512NR inverter will work fine for 18.4" LCD without any problem.

Before I suggest you something I will like to know that what are the symptoms that you have faced and then you came to the conclusion that the lcd has passed away and it will be good if you will explain the same in detail and I also want to know that what operating system you are using other than that I think that the TDK TBD512NR inverter will work fine for 18.4" LCD without any problem.

If you ask about the symptoms then I will like to share that I have faced the following and I am using Vista Home Premium 64-bit as my operating system.
    I have found out that the when I am using an external monitor then it is able to display the image and I have also found that I am able to see the image when I am using a flashlight over it.
    Other than the components like the logo LED as well as the wireless antennas are working as they were and I have noticed that sometimes the backlight lights up for some seconds whenever I try to mess with the external video or when I open and close the lid as well.

Have you tried out the below solutions if not then try it out and then let me know what you get:
    • Try hard reset.
    • Try to change the lid angle and then try to reboot and see if it is making any difference.
    • You can also try to check out if it is any kind of OS or driver conflicts or something.
    • You can also try to update the drivers.

I think that in your case the inverter itself is the culprit as per the symptoms that you have specified but then I will also like to inform you that I don’t think that there is a way to find it out until you replace the inverter and I will also like to inform you that if the backlights are burned out then you will have to replace the whole screen but then I have found that there are some suppliers on the ebay who are selling only the backlights if you want and they will provider you the inverter as well but the other problem here is that it is quite difficult to take out from the screen as it is likely to damage the screen as well and yes even I think that the TDK TBD512NR is a good option. There are some videos on the web that can help you to do the job but then I will highly recommend you to leave that job for the shop to do it.

I think that in your case the inverter itself is the culprit as per the symptoms that you have specified but then I will also like to inform you that I don’t think that there is a way to find it out until you replace the inverter and I will also like to inform you that if the backlights are burned out then you will have to replace the whole screen but then I have found that there are some suppliers on the ebay who are selling only the backlights if you want and they will provider you the inverter as well but the other problem here is that it is quite difficult to take out from the screen as it is likely to damage the screen as well and yes even I think that the TDK TBD512NR is a good option. There are some videos on the web that can help you to do the job but then I will highly recommend you to leave that job for the shop to do it
    Yes I have seen that video and just to help you I will like to inform you that you will have to start from the speaker cover which will be in the left column and after that you will have to go through it and then get the inverter but then I will also like to inform you that HP LCD logo cover I mean the back cover has no connection with the inverter or the backlights so make sure that you don’t mess with the BIOS. You can view the video to understand it in detail but then I think that you need to ne much careful in doing the same but I think that one can try it out.

I think that I will try it out because I have done a lot of work in the desktop previously so I don’t think that there will be more problem in this case and I think that I will be able to replace the inverter and I have ju9st check out a video and there it showed that I just have to take apart half laptop in order to reach the inverter but then I just wanted to know that if there are other important connectors that can be broken and needs to take care of them??

Yes even I have been trying out this things but then I will like to inform you that speaker cover is the to be the most difficult part as there are some plastic tabs around the outer edges and there are the most possible chances of breaking them so you will really have to control the pressure that you will be forcing and after the speaker cover is removed continue by putting pressure on the edge and then lifting it and I will also like to inform you that The cover needs only to be pushed forward in order to get the access to the four screws and after you are able to remove the inverter cover and then you can remove and unroute the cables to remove the LCD cover. Hope that helps.

Yes even I have been trying out this things but then I will like to inform you that speaker cover is the to be the most difficult part as there are some plastic tabs around the outer edges and there are the most possible chances of breaking them so you will really have to control the pressure that you will be forcing and after the speaker cover is removed continue by putting pressure on the edge and then lifting it and I will also like to inform you that The cover needs only to be pushed forward in order to get the access to the four screws and after you are able to remove the inverter cover and then you can remove and unroute the cables to remove the LCD cover. Hope that helps.
    Hey guys thanks for your help I have finally changed the inverter by myself you detail information was really helpful and the video guide really made quite easy for me. Even though I was a bit worried doing the same but then I think that I did it quite well and I am really feeling happy now after doing it myself.