Thread: Upgrade a graphics card on dell optiplex gx 260

Upgrade a graphics card on dell optiplex gx 260

I want to upgrade my computer graphic cards and it can support a windows 7 OS. I am not able to find any of the cards like a 4x AGP. So anyone tell me what I want to do that it will be support a windows 7 and on dell optiplex gx 260? I have already upgrade ram in my computer, and I thought that I want to continue change the parts of the computer rather than to replace whole computer..

Re: Upgrade a graphics card on dell optiplex gx 260

Computer part needs to substitute on a PCI video card like the sparkle 8400GS. So it is extremely cheaper than current AGP cards. If you insist on an AGP card, the Sapphire HD 4650 is reasonably video cards. You would be capable to use onboard HDMI audio and also support on gx 260 , however, the limitations of AGP itself.

Thank you. For the particular gx260 have two half length PCI extension slots in their mother board. I don't actually recognize regarding pci and agp, can you explain, and as well comment on the half of length nature of the PCI slots?

But slower extension slot normal that it is still in utilize and produced, And the PCI is an older and need to support on dell gx 260. AGP is a newer and faster slot typical used for video cards exclusive of it is now obsolete and has been super ceded by PCI Express. Your system board is supposed to have four PCI slots and single AGP slot. One of the gx 260 AGP slots looks different from the rest and I don't know why (and it's probably not important).

Yes, the matters; it was a border of the video card selection, due to the 180w power provide you need to check card's control requirements. Which version of the GX 260, do you hold the little Form-Factor, Small Desktop and Small Mini-Tower? As you have an 180w PSU, it's to be expected you have the Small Desktop model, and then a low profile video card would be necessary, due to the limitations of the case.

Thanks, it is a little desktop. Low profile, is the Sapphire HD 4650 a low profile? (Please excuse my ignorance; this is the first time I contain still researched graphics cards - learning all the time. Looking them up, checking with Windows compatibility, and now I will have to check power requirements and profile! The Dell website did not list this machine as windows 7 compatible - perhaps there was a good reason for that

Thanks. I can't use the Sapphire anyway because I only have an 180W power supply. What sort of power requirements does the Sparkle have? I can't seem to find that anywhere on the web. Also, what about the "half-size" PCI expansion slots? Perhaps, as I said to Bev, there is a good reason this machine is not listed on the dell website as compatible with windows 7

The 8400GS has minimum control consumption, by means of only integrated video drawing less. HIS offers a 4350 AGP (the 4350 is one of the most efficient GPUs available) but it's expensive and it may not work. I'd think you could get away with either an 8400GS or 4350 card. I'm not sure if the PCI version of the 4350 accelerates video though, which to me a major drawback is. I know the 8400GS will, as I've tried it in a 2350.

Just required to join this conversation. I presently purchased and returned the HIS 4350 AGP video card. I don’t know if it was defective or not but I kept getting a blank screen. So I don’t know if it’s even well-matched with the Optiplex GX260. But it didn’t work for me so I returned it, now I have to wait up to two weeks to get the money back. Is that the only available AGP video card cause Im having just as much trouble locating an upgrade? If anyone can help id appreciate it, thanks.

A PCI video card will be slower excluding cheaper and with superior driver support. present are still a hardly any modern AGP cards still on the market, based on ATI chipsets like the 4650 and 4670; they're quicker but the drivers do not get together with Windows Hardware Quality Labs standards.

I think going with the nVidia 5xx series would be a good option for you, for more information on the product you can check out the official page of the nvidia and get the information from there accordingly. If you ask me then i would like to suggest nForce 570 SLI, that would be the best option for you.