Thread: Does Dell UltraSharp U3011 support audio over Display Port

Does Dell UltraSharp U3011 support audio over Display Port

I purchased Dell UltraSharp U3011 last week but still I am unable to use it anymore. I think it will not work with my Dell Latitude E4310 laptop which is running Windows 7 on it. The weird part is that I have no difficulty using the monitor in HDMI mode but the problem occurs when I try to use it in its native resolution. Apart from the normal connection with the monitor I am also using the audio port of the monitor which is connected to my speakers. Is this because of this I am unable to use the monitor as it should be? So does that mean that Dell UltraSharp U3011 does not support audio over display port?

Re: Does Dell UltraSharp U3011 support audio over Display Port

Dell U3011 offers a number of attractive features that makes it easy to connect and a pleasure to use. According to Dell's description about the monitor, it has audio connectors which supports 5.1 channel audio connection. So if your speakers are capable of such an audio output then you can definitely use your Dell U3011 monitor. But if it is not then you have to use your default laptop audio connection for audio output. And there is no need of using Display Port in order to get audio. You can directly connect your speakers with audio connectors.

Although Dell U3011 supports audio and has audio connectors but this does not means that you can directly connect your speakers to it. You need to connect the audio connectors to the laptop and then the laptop can be connected to the speaker. However, I am not sure about how it will be working but you need to work around for it. The problem may even be associated with the audio port which you have to check.

Thanks for your concerned but I didn't really got what you explained Cactus. What happens is that the laptop send the audio to its Display Port which is then sent to the monitor through Display Port to HDMI cable. This works in a very well mannered. But the problem is that I am unable to get things working by connecting the Display Port to Display Port. This doesn't gives me the audio output. And this is the reason why I have raised this question. The Display Port is perfectly working fine with out any fault. And xanix, I know that Dell UltraSharp U3011 requires 5.1 speaker and I, too, am having it at my place.

So do you mean that you are using the DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect your laptop to the monitor and you are unable to get the audio output? Did you checked the connections with all of the three U3011 audio jacks? There may be some internal software problem rather than being the hardware related. May be the media player that you are using is culprit and is unable to send the sound. Make sure it is working properly. You may also try some other media player to ensure about the problem. If that doesn't help then open the Sound Control Panel and set Digital Output Device (SPDIF) to Default. Now retest the monitor once again.

Did you installed the necessary drivers to ensure if that is not causing you the problem? Sometimes we don't get the audio if there is no audio drivers installed on the computer. You can check it out from Device Manager and see if there is any yellow exclamation marks over there. If that's not the case then go to Dell website and make sure if you require any additional things that should be downloaded and installed on your computer. If still you are unable to resolve your problem then the last option is to contact Dell support team and ask them for assistance.

Hello Everyone,

The short answer: No.

Display port is for (Display only).

The modern miracle of HDMI allows the audio and video signal to be carried over a single cable! Just like my xbox or HD player. Are the days of wire-nests gone?

Basically if you plug in a display port cable to the monitor your monitor has no audio signal in. There for you can obviously not get audio out of the port on the monitor.

When using HDMI, your monitor does have audio coming in, so you can then route it to speakers, like the nifty ones that mount on the sides of my 30" Monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by modeamity View Post
    The short answer: No.

Display port is for (Display only).
    DisplayPort DOES support audio.