Thread: Compatibility of NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.

Compatibility of NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.

Hey all, I am thinking to upgrade my video card on my computer. So for that reason I came here in the hope that someone will help me to provide me some information about the compatibility of the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250. I am thinking to take this both cards to use in my system. Can anyone please suggest me t hat will they both will be compatible with my system or not? I am having the following specification of the system:

• Motherboard Model: Intel DG31PR
    • Motherboard Chipset: Intel G31 (Bearlake) + ICH7
    • Motherboard Slots: 1xPCI, 2xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16
    • Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo-2600
    • Memory Type: DDR2-SDRAM
    • Module Size: 2048 MBytes
    • PCI Express;
    • Version: 1.0
    • Slot Implemented: Yes

Re: Compatibility of NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.

Hey dude, I think that both the video card is compatible with your old motherboard. This is because PCIe x16 2.0 are compatible with the older version of PCIe x16 slot. And in the above specification which you have given above we can see that you are having the motherboard which have the older version of the PCIe x16 slot, so the graphic card will be compatible with the your computer. And here if you ask to me that which one will be better for you than at that time I will suggest you to go with the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, since this is better than the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, but also this one requires more power. So here in your cause first tell me that which power supply unit you are using. And reply me back after seeing on the label of the power supply unit and there you will get the maximum output as well as the amount of current which the +12V. Reply me that, and then I will suggest you that this will provide the power supply to work properly your video card or not.

Ok, for that I have also seen on the label of my power supply, but there I am not getting anything that which model it have? Please suggest me that how can I find that on which model this is having? I am not sure about this all things. Please suggest me some way that I can configure this all.

Fine, I think that for checking this thing, you will need to remove the computer case and after this read the label on the power supply unit. You can easily find that unit on the power supply, if after doing this all things still you can’t find the model number on the power supply then I will suggest you to contact with the person who have helped you to get this computer to your home. But here I am sure that after opening the computer case you can see the label on the power supply unit and on that there will be some information about the maximum power supply and maximum power output.

Here I have done this all as you have suggested to me and there I get that its 500W. but here I am not sure about the model number. Sorry for that but please tell me that will video card works with the 500W of power unit?

Yes, surely your new NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card will work with the 500W unit of the power supply. but, as the so many suggestion here for you to use the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 video card in your system, I would also suggest that yes, you should use the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 video card in your system. And now the choice is yours.