Thread: Few questions about SLI

Few questions about SLI

I am having a Zotac Geforce GTS 250 and I don’t have much idea about the SLI but I have went through a no of forums .I am willing to get a other in order to use the SLI so I just wanted to know is it the right choice or I have to get a some other gtx in order to link them together. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out to decide. Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Few questions about SLI

As far as I know you might have to a second GTS 250 and you have to make sure that it has a matching memory capacity so as to link them together under the SLI.I think that the you can choose according to the games you play and at what resolution you play. I have found that the SLI is only effective when it is under the visually stressful conditions and it is really not worth if you are getting it and then playing old games at a low resolution. So it is really on you to decide what you actually want.

Even I want to link my current Geforce GTS 250 with other gt under the SLI slot and I need suggestion for the best one. Below is my computer specification:
    • Windows 7 home premium 64bit
    • 4gb Ram
    • 900 watt power supply
    • AMD Anthlon 64 x2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.00ghz
    • Motherboard-MSI k9n2 SLI Platinum

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

I think that another GTS250 will be better for you to link it with the existing GTS250 as per your specification. I really think that a decent GPU from the GTX500 series is a very good choice than having the SLI GTS250 .If you will go for GTS250s then I think that you will run into bottlenecking even though you are having a standard system configuration by now. If you want you can try it out and I personally have found the GTX500 a better option to link under the SLI.

Taking your system configuration in account I think that the SLI with two GTS 250s can help you in increasing the performance and if you are interested in playing games like BF3, Skyrim, Arkham City which are visual demanding than I will like to share that in the future releases there might be a period where SLI profiles will not be available for some specific titles and they might not offer minimal gains as well as I have heard that the NVIDIA works with the developers in order to refine the profiles. I will say that if you are much confident with the overclocking than you can very well go for it as it might sometimes result in boost scaling with SLI and even bottlenecking.

I will suggest you to get the GTX 560:
    • Core Clock-850MHz
    • Shader Clock-1700MHz
    • Stream Processors-336 Processor Cores
    • Effective Memory Clock-4104MHz
    • DirectX-DirectX 11
    • OpenGL-OpenGL 4.1
    • HDMI-1 x mini HDMI

GTX 550Ti is also a good option I have been using the same and I have already linked it with the GTS250 and I am getting better performance than before without any problem. Just check its specification:
    • Core Clock-981 Mhz (vs. 952 Mhz Reference)
    • Shader Clock-1962 Mhz (v.s. 1903 Mhz Reference)
    • Stream Processors-192 Processor Cores
    • Effective Memory Clock-4514 Mhz (v.s 4536 Mhz Reference)
    • DirectX-DirectX 11
    • OpenGL-OpenGL 4.1
    • HDMI-1 x mini HDMI

I have just setup my first SLI system and it is appearing to be working fine by now and the problem now I am facing is that after downloading the MSI Afterburner I have noticed that the temperature on my primary card is getting higher as compared to that of the secondary card. I have tested both of them and I have found that primary card gets up to 90 degrees where as the secondary card gets up to 60 degrees. I don’t know if it is normal or there is some kind of problem so I just wanted to know it from you all. Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated.

Yes it appears as if it s having some problem going on with it. I will suggest you to check the fans on the cards and make sure that they are running on their full speeds and you can do this in the MSI Afterburner. Previously I have faced the similar kind of issue and the issue was because I had the one card which was capped at 70% fan speed where as the other was at 100% and I came to know about it very late and I had to to flash the GPU BIOS in order to correct it. This is probably a airflow issue so you can just check if you are having the same case and then solve it as well

Yes the temperature of your primary card is really high. I am having a GTX 460 SC SLI and my primary card sometimes goes up to 74c when my fan speed is at 60 percent where as the secondary goes up to 65 at full load.I think that you might need a new case or just try to get a fan and blow it directly on the GPU's and test it for some hours and see if they are making any changes for the moment or you can also get a Cooler Master HAF 932 as I have been using the same and it keeps the temperature under control.