Thread: Enabling SLI subsequently shutdown computer

Enabling SLI subsequently shutdown computer

HI, I have currently build a newer rig and in which I have installed NVIDIA graphic card and everything was running perfectly until and unless I try to enable the SLI feature from the Nvidia's Control Panel. Whenever I try to do this with my machine it just continuously shutdowns randomly. And the thing is like I'm new to this all so I'm not sure what this means. While I opened the case up, I become aware as it felt pretty warm inside, but the surprising thing was like all my fans were functioning correctly. But let me know can overheating also cause the machine to be shutdown or this is completely different issue with the computer? Any suggestion for resolving this?

Re: Enabling SLI subsequently shutdown computer

Is the connector cable between the cards the right way round? You should make sure you have connected both the GPU to perfectly in your computer. And by the way does your motherboard have SLI bridge?

see there could be so many problem that can cause the machine to be shutdown and I think the hardware you have installed in your cabinet is not actually compatible with each other and that’s why they are generating heat which is causing this overheating issue. But along with this will you please let me know whether you are having the hardware which has capability to support dual graphic card? Because you can only enable this property if your motherboard and the processor supports this feature or else you would not be able to use this feature however.

I am agree with the above user but still can you please mention the whole specification you are having because as mentioned above it seems that you don’t have perfect hardware installed in the machine.

But still let it be, assuming that you are having perfect hardware I would like to suggest you that you should try to install appropriate drivers as well in your machine because as far as SLI is concern drivers plays very important roles in supporting this feature with the hardware, so though you have pefect hardware installed in your cabinet but it would be completely worthless until and unless you install perfect rather compatible hardware in your machine.

along with the drivers I would like to tell you that you should also enable GPU bios as well and the suitable with your GPU would be 70.24.11.00.00 version. Thus try to install that as well and then try to enable the SLI feature from the control panel.

I think if you are sure as the hardware you have installed in your computer is quite good and have capability to support two graphic cards as well then I think the only thing left that can cause such issue with the motherboard is the power supply, because as you have mentioned that you have install two GPU’s in the machine that means it will surely consume more power from the motherboard and if suppose you are still using any traditional power supply in your machine then it might be possible that it couldn’t be able to handle all this and causing this problem in your machine. thus I would like to recommend you that you should try to attach another power supply in your machine, and by the way can you please mentioned how much watts power supply you are currently using, because as the extent to I know you must have to have at least 550 watts PSU in order to enable SLI feature in your machine.

update the driver as mentioned above and try to keep the machine in a cool environment, because warmth can cause the machine to be shutdown not the feature that you have mentioned.

exactly I am also having same opinion as you should try to control the temperature of your cabinet and then try to enable this feature and then see whether you are still pursuing the same problem with the existing hardware or not. Below I have mentioned some of the techniques through that you can keep your machine cool.

• Allow for Air Flow

• Clean Your Computer

• Move Your Computer

• Upgrade the CPU Fan if required

• Install a Case Fan if required

• Stop Overclocking

• Replace the Power Supply

• Install Component Specific Fans

• Install a Water Cooling Kit

• Install a Phase Change Unit

don’t know whether you are still having problem with your machine or not but if yes then it might be possible that because of this overheating issue SLI Bridge or might be Bridge connector could have stopped working or simply they are just damaged. According to me if you are keep getting same problem with the machine then you should not try to run the machine this way rather it would be better if you test the motherboard you are having, because I am sure as there could be some problem with the motherboard you are having. And as mentioned above if you have already overclocked the machine than you should stop that as well as it would surely cause some severe damage.

The significant thing is that it is extremely effortless to abolish the possible issue by just trying the Bridge the other way around.

Thanks for the tremendous support, but I have found that there was some problem because of the hotness in the machine, and that was also because of the power supply I am using. And that’s why I am planning to upgrade the power supply I am using, but will you please recommend me some of the good model that I can have for my machine which can handle all this hardware as well.