Thread: Acer 5742G not using Geforce GT 540M graphic card

Acer 5742G not using Geforce GT 540M graphic card

Recently I have purchased an Acer 5742G notebook laptop. i have always been an acer fan and hence I bought this laptop. I have installed NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M 1GB graphics card. But my acer laptotp is not using it. My system is using intel HD graphics card which is not good and has no memory. How can I disable it? When I go to the Nvidia control panel, I can only see the following:
    • System update
    • 3D-options
    • Video
    I am not able to see the display tab. I don’t what is the problem. Can anybody guide regarding this issue. How can I make the nvidia graphics card to work? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Below I have mentioned my laptop specifications:
    • Intel Core i5-450M 2.53 GHz
    • 4GB RAM
    • 750 GB HDD
    • NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M 1GB

Re: Acer 5742G not using Geforce GT 540M graphic card

Firstly please tell me what is the bios version that you are having? You can get a version acer 1.17 because it has a fix for display mode. Having this version of bios would definitely solve your graphic card issue. I hope you know how to get that. if not then kindly reply back and ask.

Make sure that you have installed the drivers properly installed. I would suggest you to uninstall all the drivers that you have installed. Go to the start>>settings>>control panel>>add and remove programs. Select the drivers and uninstall them. After uninstalling the drivers, try to install the drivers back again. Then check whether the issue has got solved or no. if not then I would suggest you to visit the official website of the nvidia and get the latest drivers downloaded from there. After downloading them, try to install. I hope this should work as it doesn’t seem to me as some big problem. you can also google on the internet and find the drivers from there.

I think that your "switchable graphics" isn't working for some reasons. So for that I would suggest you to first try and find the latest drivers for nvidia (PhysX) from Acer Support. I would suggest you to unpolug the graphic card and try to put it back properly. May be it is not properly installed.

I think you should contact the acer people to help you out. They are the experts and they will hence guide you properly. I had similar kind of issues and therefore I took my laptop to the service center and got it fine. I am saying you to go to the service center because it would be risky if you try to do something by yourself.

I would like to say that you cannot disable integrated graphics as it is used by the system. Your laptop will utilize the integrated graphics for normal operations and when it needs more graphics power the dedicated graphics start to function.