Thread: Nvidia GTX cards not compatible with OpenGL

Nvidia GTX cards not compatible with OpenGL

Hello everyone out there. I want to hear it from you guys that is why is Nvidia graphics card is not compatible with the OpenGl in GTX cards. Is it the problem of allegation? or is it intentionally disabled the opengl performance of the GTX line just for the other artists using program likes Maya and Softimage to buy Quadros? Well after having gone through the various article I sort of believe it now. What do you guys think do let me know your views on this I am waiting ti hear it from you guys . Any views on this will be welcome.

re: Nvidia GTX cards not compatible with OpenGL

Installing Quadro drivers on GeForce Fermi cards can work modling the INF files, and is presently working superb on my system. However, OpenGL transfer rate is still as slow as compared to GeForce drivers. It is quite possible to "unlock" Quadro behavior in really old GeForce cards by modifying the video BIOS string, but Nvidia has wised up and that deception no longer works. Current Quadro drivers can always prdict whether they're running on a GeForce card or a Quadro card. Well I guess is that Nvidia has locked it BIOS level, and possibly even the hardware. But they are now determined to set people to use the Quadro for the 3D stations. There are ways to unlock the quadro performance and GEforce features. Nvidia keeps on improvising their products. That's why unlike GeForce cards, only Nvidia manufactures Quadro cards and does not let their AIB partners to produce them.

Well Thanks for the suggestion but I's not talking about the possibility to have Quadro performance in a GTX card, I was asking t about not having the present OpenGL performance crippled. my GTX 285 is currently running Softimage, Mudbox and Maya satisfactorily. However, it's over 2 years old now and I worry about a card that old, in addition to that it only has 1 GB of RAM. Iwould like to purchase GTX 460 having 2 GB of RAM for those applications or possibly 500 series having 1.5 GB and having to get the same OpenGL performance as my GTX 285 gets not any less performance. I game too and the GTX 285 is not having DX 11. So if the drivers can be brought up to the level of 285 I would be more than happy.

It looks like the GeForce 200-serie is running other than gaming OpenGL apps quite good that people are buying and making use them in the place of the quite precious Quadro cards for their 3D workstation requirements, and Nvidia is possibly trying to to put a stop mark on it too . By making the new age group GeForce Fermi cards not carry out as well as preceding cards in 3D workstation apps, Nvidia is trying to force them to go back to Quadro cards. The communication from Nvidia is obvious: GeForce for games, Quadro for 3D workstation apps. Unless the source code of Nvidia is leaked for Nvidia's drivers.

Only Nvidia knows the real truth to this, and they're not telling. However, benchmarks don't lie. GeForce Fermi cards are considerably slow in performance in OpenGL transferring speed in comparison to older GeForce cards I am having very slow transfer rates on the newly launched Nvidia cards (GTX470/GTX480). glReadPixels() and look and feel upload speed is about 55% slow in comparison to previous generation cards (GTX280/GTX285)I already have tried it with different drivers, but needless to say the result was same