Thread: Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS is not compatible with Windows 7

Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS is not compatible with Windows 7

I have purchased the laptop two years back and now I am facing problem with it. I have Geforce Go 7900GS card installed on the laptop. But from the few days it is not detected by the operating system. I don’t know what is the actual problem which causing this. I have searched for the solution but nothing resolved the issue. So now I am using the windows and now running the laptop on onboard graphics of laptop. So can anyone will help to solve this problem which I am facing.
    My laptop Gateway NX860XL configuration is:
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ Processor Duo 667 MHz FSB
    • Ram: 533 and 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 PCI Express Graphics with 256 MB GDDR3

Re: Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS is not compatible with Windows 7

I have faced same problem like you when using my laptop. My laptop can’t able to detect the graphics card in the system that time I am using windows 7 with onboard default graphics on it. I have one solution for you trying to do this will resolve the problem. Try to downgrade your operating system to older one. You can downgrade to the windows visa or reinstall windows 7. After doing one of it check if it detects your card or not. Since when I have tried this it works for me.

Do you have official copy of the windows 7 in the notebook? Since what I know is that this laptop has the windows xp installed in it by default. So if you have official windows 7 with you then try to update the windows 7 online from Microsoft site. So if any issue is related to the operating system then it will be resolved here only. But as per my information the laptop is not compatible with windows 7 therefore it is giving such a problem. So updating will be one solution and downgrading windows to original one will be other solution.

I have Gateway NX860XL laptop purchased one year back. And till now it is working perfectly but I am currently using windows xp which was provided it with the notebook itself I am not using windows 7. And I haven’t facing the graphics card detection issue. I will suggest you one other solution to resolve the problem what you are facing. I am not a professional in the field but the driver update for graphics card will solve the problem. So go to vendor’s site which is nvidia and serach for the drivers for the card. Download it and install in the system and after that try to run the system it will successfully detects the graphics card.

I have faced the same problem with my laptop nut it is caused due to the BIOS itself. Since I have searched for the solution over the internet I have updated the drivers but nothing working for me. I have also installed the windows 7 on it. So trying this solution will resolve the problem. Try to update the bios for it. Now go to the bios settings and turn of the onboard graphics of the system. This setting will be available in advance bios and then try to run the notebook it will detects the graphics card.

I have the same model of notebook developed by the Gateway. As you said you purchased it few years back. So your notebook will be out of the warranty I will suggest you to update each and every hardware components of the notebook and try to run it or installing windows xp again will solve your problem. If nothing works for you then try to contact the customer care and tell them the problem you are facing they will resolve your issue or you can also visit there service center for checking what is the problem.

I have this laptop and installed windows 7 ultimate edition in it. I have faced same problem of graphics card doesn’t detecting. When I have installed the windows 7 on the notebook it works perfectly without any problem. I have enabled automatic update since I have the official purchased copy of windows. So one day when the some update made by automatic update in the windows. And after that when I restarted the windows the system doesn’t able to detect the graphics card. So I have reinstalled windows and it works perfectly. So this problem can be caused due to the update done by windows.