Thread: how to change the Optimus setting in Nvidia?

how to change the Optimus setting in Nvidia?

hello friends I have purchased T420s and I am unable to find the settings I cannot find anywhere. How do I select options between integrated only, discrete only, & Optimus. These options are supposed to be in the power manager settings somewhere? So I can select which GPU setting I require depending on battery/ power? But I am unable to find it over there.

Re: how to change the Optimus setting in Nvidia?

With the July release of the every month Verde drivers, NVIDIA has released a new Optimus user interface which provides even more visibility in to how Optimus is working and allows you even more control over how Optimus operates the new customization settings and options made available to you within the latest NVIDIA Control Panel and shows Optimus in action.

You don't select. Optimus is not like the one which gives you options to select graphics. The machine runs with included unless you do something that requires the Nvidia card. Then the Nvidia card kicks in. If that thing is in window, the window is rendered by the Nvidia card and the remainder of the screen is off the Inbuilt GPU. When you are done using the intensive application, the Nvidia card powers back down. In the event you install the latest Nvidia drivers, they come with a taskbar icon that tells you when the Nvidia GPU is on. It also installs a right-click option that lets you pick to run programs with the Nvidia card or the Inbuilt. In the event you truly need Inbuilt only, you can set that in the BIOS

When Notebooks ship with a separate GPU and an Inbuilt graphics set, Optimus allows the computer to switch between the on the fly, without a reboot or method log-off/log-on. The reasons for this are simple: with the IGP, you can save lots of battery power, but being able to switch on a discrete GPU means that game enthusiasts can get that additional boost where it would not have been available before. The main issue with Optimus is, as a brand spanking new expertise, the application that shipped with most Optimus machines was Spartan, with only a few options available to the finish user. Fundamentally, Optimus worked, but finish users weren't able to tell when it was active, which GPU was active and how Optimus was making decisions.

If you are using a new laptop that has an Nvidia graphics card, try checking your Optimus settings. Open NVIDIA Control Panel from start menu. Towards left-hand side, under select a task. Open the "3D Settings drop down menu, & select "Manage 3D Settings". Now on to your right-hand panel, click the "Program Settings" tab. Select a program...” click "Add", navigate to your \Steam\sitemaps\common\magicka listing & select Magicka.exe. Select the preferred graphics. select "High-performance NVIDIA processor", then click "Apply" in the bottom right don’t forget to click that or your settings won’t be saved.

Awesome! Thanks for this. Bought a brand new laptop computer for my best mate and it couldn’t play Dragon Age two on full but freaks out with mine craft for this reason. Cheers! I cannot thank you. I thought that I wasted $750 on, what I thought, was a nice mid-range laptop computer for playing games. Mine craft is the first thing I installed and it ran absolutely awful. Did some Google and landed here. This fixed the issue and it now runs ideal on "visualize" graphics and far renders distance. Thanks a lot!