Thread: All 3 next generation consoles will be powered by AMD GPU

All 3 next generation consoles will be powered by AMD GPU

I've heard from my friends that this year's E3 HardOCP collected a wealth of information about the hardware of the next generation of consoles. It will be interesting to see if the rumors stirred truth or fiction. We wanted to get this out of the week after E3, but we had some that point and some T to cross. This was a great surprise to me. I did not know that NVIDIA has already been ruled out for the next generation of consoles.

Re: All 3 next generation consoles will be powered by AMD GPU

Yes, very surprising. On the other hand, AMD is probably willing to play hard to get business. Interestingly, the PS4 could use a BD-based APU. I guess Sony really wants to make some $ $ $ of these this time around. Still the NVidia graphics is disappointing on the prices of its chips for the original Xbox. I could have sworn the next generation of gaming station is the use of NVIDIA-based graphics, however, that perhaps is not the case any longer.

I believe that Nintendo Wii has already confirmed that U has a style in the same RV770 GPU. Most likely, Microsoft will continue with AMD as well. That only leaves Sony as the "unknown." From consoles have limited refrigeration space and the original Xbox 360 was criticized for being strong, I think there will be a greater emphasis on energy efficiency / heat. In this case, both AMD 5000 and 6000 series chips is merely better in terms of performance / watt compared to the number GTX4xx/5xx. Therefore, only makes reasonable sense that AMD is the preferred supplier for the next generation consoles.

In addition, higher end NV chips require a memory bandwidth of more expensive 320/384-bit to add significant costs to the board layout of the console. It would be much cheaper to implement a memory interface with GDDR5 256-bit, which in turn provides AMD. And he still has more than enough money with that and support contracts and software for it just out of the consumer market, while still much higher margins could elsewhere.

Either way, it is much more significant to see how powerful the GPU will be in place which will give them vendor. I mean if you put a HD6770 or HD6550 as part of an APU in the PS4, was not overcome, no matter how capable the chip is. So I'm waiting for the exact specifications are released. At least, if all 3 will be GPU by AMD, no more arguments on the GPU is faster, since it would be able to compare across architectures of AMD.

It is unfortunate that the consoles are being launched during the "stagnation of the GPU," although the time. GPU does not have much improved performance from both HD5870 was released in September 2009. I'm still waiting for either Sony or Microsoft push a 28nm Kepler or HD7000 series consoles 28n in 2012-2013, even if one of the midrange offerings (given the constraints on energy consumption). But that's probably unlikely development in view is the way up for both. I guess it is 95% probability of the next generation will have a PS4/720 or HD6000 HD5000 GPU products.

From an economic point of view: if one assumes either AMD or NV was to change the current 28nm generation of chips for, you get even higher returns with a much smaller die AMD. That will reduce its manufacturing costs. AMD simply has superior performance per watt in almost all price levels below a GTX580. To console this is probably the most important parameter, since setting a GTX570/580 is not only a choice based on energy consumption.