Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Monitor & Video Cards
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to fix monitor power supply/bulging capacitors?

Monitor & Video Cards

Old 12-07-2011

How to fix monitor power supply/bulging capacitors?

Please help me! Recently my monitor is dead. When I turn my monitor on, the backlight lights up for a second and then die. My computer is 5 year old and its out of warranty. To solve it I opened it and poked around for loose cables but it did not helped. It is the problem of capacitors. I don?t know what type of capacitors I need to replace. I was thinking to replace my monitor but my Ergotron Workfit requires 2 equal sized screens. What solder should I use? What to do?

Old 12-07-2011

Re: How to fix monitor power supply/bulging capacitors?

You have a very unusual problem. Since you have not mentioned what kind of capacitors you need it quite difficult for me to provide appropriate solution to you. Just take a close look on the capacitors, the capacitors itself will tell you about its specification. To remove the capacitors use a desoldering tool. I recommend you to use Edsyn SS750LS - Soldapullt ESD. It?s a safe Standard Metric desoldering pump. The only thing you have to do is press in the plunger and after that heat up the solder on the contact point. As soon as the solder button hits up, hit that solder to the button. Then the solder is sucked up. You might have to continue this process 2-3 times.
Old 12-07-2011

If you want to know more about soldering and desoldering techniques and to learn to use it, you can visit to the Youtube site. By going to Youtube you can check for the videos and it it will help you to learn with proper steps. After seeing those videos you can try them by yourself without doing any mistakes. Just see to it that whatever you do, do it carefully. Even I learned the same from Youtube. Also be careful about the capacitors as the capacitors are polarized.
Old 12-07-2011

I agree with the polarization topic as it is very important that you should be very careful. If you notice many of the capacitors are polarized. If you put the negative terminal in place of the positive terminal then you might blow up the capacitors causing major damage. You should be sure before removing to mark where the positive and negative terminals are so that you replace the new ones back in the correct place in correct way.
Old 12-07-2011

Its very easy if you do it carefully and in proper way. You can search over the internet about it and see the instruction to use it. Each and every capacitor has specification and polarity marked so you won?t have problem. If in case the polarity is not marked on the cap then it may be marked on the printed circuit board. To move the cap lightly pull the bad cap and heat one solder. Repeat this method on each side until the cap is out.
Old 12-07-2011

I have replaced capacitors before in my monitor power board. So I can help you with instructions. Lightly pull on the bad capacitors and heat one solder. The capacitor will move, if required clean up the holes. After that insert the new capacitors and solder it up. In this way you can replace all the affected capacitors with the new ones. To use the solder you can take help of the internet. Don?t panic its easy. If you do it properly then your monitor will start working.
Old 13-07-2011

For capacitors you can shop hem online on ebay or from any other online shopping site that you are concerned with. If not then you can visit any local shop where this kind of electronic things are available. Before purchasing get yourself known that what kind of capacitors you require. If you don?t have a solder then purchase it because it required. While replacing the capacitors unplug the monitor so that you don?t get a shock.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Monitor & Video Cards
Tags: , , , ,