Thread: Unable to install dreaded ATI drivers in Linux mint

Unable to install dreaded ATI drivers in Linux mint

Hi, I have installed a fresh copy of the Linux Mint in my machine and it was running perfectly apart from the ATI drivers all the things works perfectly the way I have expected, and I have try to installed the drivers that I was using with my previous windows but in this OS it is not getting detected even and I am getting the error only. I have tried almost all the things but didn’t works actually. So is there anyone have some idea what would be went wrong while installation? What can I do next in order install those drivers?

Re: Unable to install dreaded ATI drivers in Linux mint

Are you sure that you have installed perfect driver, because there are too many problems in the operating system regarding the drivers, so I would say you should first check that whether you have installed proper drivers in your machine, and installing the same driver doesn’t mean that It will run the same as it was running in the previous windows so I would say you should download the latest drivers also rather than using the previous older drivers.

Have you tried it using the proper commands? Because this is very essential thing, if you make any mistake while writing that even may cause different problems. use this command and then deisply the result what you got :
    sudo hwinfo --framebuffer

or if this doesn’t work you can make use of this also :
    sudo lspci -vv

and let me tell you that there are different driver for both the systems, like you must have to use another driver for 32 bit as well as for 64 bit.

As you have mentioned that you have made a fresh update of the windows than let me inform you that you that you have to update it first, In other words, next install construction is necessary and then and after that reboot the machine and install any hardware drivers whatever they would be either of the GPU or for any other hardware. And in fact I was also having the same problem as yours ut after doing this I not at all got any problem with the ATI or any other driver.

Yeah I would say I am completely agree with the above user, as you should update it first and then only install the drivers but if suppose you didn’t, I would say you have to repair the introducing symbol, and you can do this by going in to Startup Manager. And soon as you got it choose 1024x768 24 bit for the starting screen. After this you can simply load any drivers to your machine.

ATI cards are the bit of a mess, and they have too many problems with the newer version, thus I would say you must have to download the appropriate drivers for your machine as you can download those drivers from their official website also, I have heard that they have provided the different driver for the different windows. But before this you can try with the driver that you already have but if it doesn’t work that you can download the latest one.