Thread: Having a problem with the Nvidia geforce 8300 gs card

Having a problem with the Nvidia geforce 8300 gs card

Here is the problem. I currently play a largely 3D game. And it was working fine until recently. When I go to play the game it shows up very dark. When Im not in the game.. everything is fine. I currently have a nvidia geforce 8300 gs video card. I am guessing maybe I need to update the video card. I would like a suggestion on what kind to get. I have only a 300 watt psu and a pci express x1 and pci express x16 slot. I have been looking at the geforce 9500 gt pci express 2.0 card. Would that work with the psu I have?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Having a problem with the Nvidia geforce 8300 gs card

Well, a 300 watt power supply is way to little for the power consumption for a computer, what is you computer specifications by the way? You will atleast require a 500 watt power supply for a proper power consumption. In any case have you tried updating the graphics driver to the latest before making any video card purchases?
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Yes I updated the driver to the current one with no avail. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Intel Pentium Dual Cpu at 2.20 ghz, 2 gigs of ram, 300 watt psu, geforce 8300 gs 512mb video card. This all came with the pc when I got it.

But I have been doing research and came to the conclusion that I do need a bigger psu. If I should get a 500watt one, what would be the best kind of video card to get in the nvidia area since thats what my game supports the best? Im not looking for anything extravagant. Just want to be able to play my 3D game. And is there a limit on the psu the motherboard can handle?

Hello I think this issue is arriving because of overheating cause. Someday before, I was facing similar kind of issue with the same graphic card. Then I observe that whenever my graphic card temperature increasing I was not able to perform anything with it. So please check the temperature. If you are playing game at that moment ideal temperature is 60 to 70 c. And when you are not playing game then it will be 40 to 50. So please check this and if your temperature going more than 80 c then it will be dangerous for you. And if you want to buy a new video card then please refer the official site of Nvidia there you will get all latest video card for #d Gaming and all. Thank you.

Thanks for the help. But I figured out it is my monitor and not the video card. At least I am sure that is the prob now. I downloaded a utility that lets you change the gamma settings and the game seems to work fine when i change the settings in it. Overheating is not an issue. I was planning on getting a new monitor anyhows as the one i have now is so outdated lol. But if it turns out to be the same way with a new monitor then I already have my eye on a 500 watt psu and a new video card. Either way.. I do need the items. Just not all at the same time.

Have you tried connecting some other monitor and checked whether it is a problem with the graphics card or monitor itself? You didnt tell us what all type of 3d games you play on your pc with this video card? Normally, if the video card doesnt meets up the game requirement then it is possible to get black screens or even pc crashing.