Thread: Catalyst Control Centre Scrambling Screen

Catalyst Control Centre Scrambling Screen

Hi, i have been experimenting changing settings in CCC and have obviously set something too high, now whenever I try to go into CCC my screen is covered in coloured blocks and the pc freezes.
    Is there a command way option of resetting CCC to defaults or changing a setting in any files in the ATI directory or will I have to uninstall/reinstall CCC
    Thsnks Phil

Re: Catalyst Control Centre Scrambling Screen

Well it is very easy to do you just have to just restore the factory default settings so what you have to do is that click on the preferences option in the dashboard now you will be getting to see a list of drop down list in the menu just select the restore factory settings so select that accordingly and your problem will be solved. This is how it is done now i am not sure whether you will be able to carry out the same method here as well, so do let me know about it i am waiting for your response.

Hi thanks for the reply
    if I right-click on the desktop and choose CCC, as soon as it appears on the screen i get the scrambling and if I try and click on any of the menu options before it scrambles and freezes up nothing happens
    Phil

Thats why i was wondering if there was a way to alter the settings in a config file without having to actualy run CCC

What sounds to me is that the video card that you have is acting up, but you could start by downloading/installing the latest Catalyst driver set. If new driver doesn't help, the video card might be 'losing it' in it's 3d frame buffer area. When you say you have altered the settings in CCC then did you mea that you overclock the graphics card?
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Yes that was what I was doing, If I re-install the latest Catalyst driver set does that overwrite the settings with the default ones and should I uninstall them first or just install over the original driver set

Can you tell us what is the make or model of the video card on which you did some overclocking R & D's? When you say that you have altered settings many a times, then perhaps the card might be not in a good shape. In any case, download a tool called Revo Uninstaller Pro to first completely remove the graphics driver and then install the fresh latest graphics drivers and check the difference, if any is there.

Thanks for the info, my card is an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500. I will try the programme you recommend when I get some time, but meanwhile I uninstalled CCC and all was well, but when I re-installed it as soon as I clicked on OK when it had installed, my screen went again straight away with no way to get out of it, so I had to turn off my pc, disable CCC in the startup menu and uninstall it again
    Last edited by philstoke; 04-06-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Can you get into safe mode and try to use the revo uninstaller to completely remove all the remains of the Catalyst Control Centre driver. Actually, even after uninstalling the drivers, some of the files still remains in the saved profiles and therefore it is needed to be removed completely, so try to do what I suggested earlier and report back.

I had already uninstalled CCC, so I download Revo Uninstaller Pro and reinstalled CCC through Revo so it could find all the files, I then went into safe mode and unistalled CCC through Revo and during that process chose "advanced" for it to find all associations and deleted them. But on rebooting I find that even though CCC is not in the actual windows or Revo's uninstall menu but is still on my pc if I right-click on my desktop, and scrambles the screen still if I click on it. So it seems Revo did not uninstall it after all
    P.S. I also have ATI Stream SDK Developer in my uninstall menu, should I uninstall that as well
    Thanks Phil
    Last edited by philstoke; 07-06-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Through Revo did a forced uninstall of CCC and then uninstalled ATI Stream Developer which all went well, so I thought i would reinstall CCC to see if it installed ok with the default values.
    Reinstall through Revo but even though it said it has installed, it is in the start menu but with an empty folder.
    I am thinking of getting a new video card soon so I think I will leave it all uninstalled.
    Next time so I dont have any problems with CCC I am looking at a different make, probably a Geforce GTX 560Ti which I have read is a very good overclocker, but next time I will be very careful about what settings I use, lol
    Thanks for your input and suggestions it has been very useful
    Phil