Thread: PSU needed to use Graphic Card in Dell Studio 540

PSU needed to use Graphic Card in Dell Studio 540

I want to use Graphic card in my Dell Studio 540 but for that I need power supply unit. I need advice from you regarding the power supply unit. I purchased a graphics card and after that I tried to install it but the Dell has no leads to connect for power to be supplied to graphic card. There were slots available in the motherboard for the graphic card. Can anyone advise me the suitable power supply that can be compatible to my system? Is anyone aware about this issue? If yes then please help me out.

Re: PSU needed to use Graphic Card in Dell Studio 540

I am not aware about the issue that you have posted. The issue that you have posted is quite new to me. You are the first person who is discussing such issues with me. I am software professional and I don’t possess much knowledge about hardware. The issue that you have posted is related to hardware. I won’t be able to provide you the necessary suggestion that you need. I will surely try to get the suitable information for the issue that you have posted and will inform you about it later on. May be someone else can help you out this time.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. Before I proceed further I would like to inform you that the information that you have posted about your issue is incomplete. I need to know about the graphic card that is included in your PC. I won’t be able to provide you the suggestions that you require to overcome the issue. The information is essential before I give any advice. Try to provide me this information as early as possible.

I am very grateful to you for interacting with me to overcome my issue. I will surely provide you the information that you need. The graphic card included my PC ATI Radeon HD5850 graphics card. I am quite confused related to which PSU to select that will be compatible with the system. The information that you required is posted by me. Now please provide me the necessary recommendation so that I could get rid of such issues.

The issue that you posted is quite interesting. I will try my level best to simplify your issue if possible. For your system I will suggest you to buy 600W power supply. This power supply will be compatible for your system. This power supply will be the best for your Graphic card. It will definitely improve the performance of your PC. Other power supply won’t perform better than 600W power supply, so my advice would be to go for 600W power supply.

If you are going for Corsair then 650TX I would opt for a minimum. That supposed to give you sufficient amperage and PCI-e power connectors Auxiliary 5850 and also future updates. I actually suggest a modular power supply, however they are large and simple to function with - Corsair HX series is modular. New Modular Antec TruePower 650 is a little cheaper, superior amperage, and modular. After enough consideration, it is the power I have chosen to before upgrade to a 5850 too.

From what I can tell from Google images, your computer uses a standard ATX. It is not uncommon to have a motherboard with PCIe on it, and no PCIe power connector. A number of cards do not need extra power, since they can draw sufficient power from the board, or I shall say that Dell put a power supply on dissimilar machines with a graphics card. Anyway, as a standard ATX power supply should be adjusted (90% sure), any will do. Most people use Corsair including me. You cannot go incorrect with them. This was my opinion regarding the issue now it is up to you to decide the appropriate PSU for your system