Thread: Cannot Display Video Mode when booting in Safe Mode

Cannot Display Video Mode when booting in Safe Mode

Hi Everyone,

After I boot into safe mode, the screen becomes totally dark except for 'Cannot display this video mode'. I found this thread on the Dell Support forums (http://en.community.dell.com/support.../17909919.aspx) and it suggests changing the video card settings in my BIOS to auto. Is this correct? and if so, where do I change my video card settings in my BIOS? Having a little trouble finding it.

When I'm in my BIOS setup utility, it says American Megatrends at the bottom and the options I have are Main, Advanced, Power, Boot, and Exit. It's a Dell Monitor. The CPU case says Systemax and Venture. I'm running windows XP Home.

Gotta get to safe mode because we got a nasty spyware infection last night and I'm trying to fix it, but can't do much if I can't see in safe mode. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Re: Cannot Display Video Mode when booting in Safe Mode

There are two types of black screen. First when you boot in safe mode you can just see the cursor and nothing else. That means the operating system is corrupted. Second there is no display at all which is an direct interference of the video card. For troubleshooting I will recommend you to connect your monitor to regular vga port and then run in safe mode. If you can see then run a fresh driver update and then connect it back to the video card. At the end you might need to update you bios also if issue does not solves.