Thread: How to transfer TV programs and settings from DVR

How to transfer TV programs and settings from DVR

I am facing a very annoying problem, anyone will get irritated by setting up same settings again and again on the same device. My problem is with Digital video recorder I am using whenever I upgrade my DVR I have to start all over again like I just have installed my DVR. They upgrade my DVR but they don’t move or copy content from my old drive to new drive and I have to set the subscription of series again. I am sure this is because of copyright issues since it’s based on UNIX but they should solve this problem by taking help of proper developer or technical guy.

Re: How to transfer TV programs and settings from DVR

I think it’s not quite feasible to copy all the content in new drive because it will take some hours for total transfer, Usually cable DVR hard disk’s have smaller size 80-320GB, but even there is ESATA in the DVR it will take lots of time to transfer the files. One the technical guy can do one thing he can transfer actual hard drive from one unit to other But the main thing is cable technical guys doesn’t know much about hard drive replacements.

There are many reasons behind why they don’t copy the content one of them is evry box company have their own unique encryption and OS loaded on box cannot be read by other box this is to prevent peoples from copying content from box to PC. And even if there is any master way or code to copy content it will take lots of time. One thing you can do is back up, which will be encrypted but DVR can read that so you can restore it on another DVR. But guess still there will be some copy rights issue if you caught.

I think there is only one solution which will be more effective and the answer is DirectTV, it allows you to copy the content from actual drive to the larger drive. And very shortly they will be launching few services which will help you to connect your Smartphone with DVR and you can transfer and share the contents. And there is a device named Nomad which helps customer to download DVR or HD content via home network to their PC or smartphones.

If you want copy or move your content to external hard disk drive then Dish network is the solution. According to me till now only Dish network allows you to connect to external drive and you can copy your recorded content too. And when you upgrade to new DVR you can copy the content your account so that you can access your content even if you have upgraded to the new DVR and it stores your subscriptions too, So I think if you use Dish network then your problem will be solved completely.

I want to thank each one of you, everyone has provided good suggestions. And you guys are absolutely right copying the content is really a time consuming process I guess even if DVR service provider started this service they charge a lot for that time because till the time content’s get copied into other drive their technical guy have to stay at my place. Dish network is actually a much better solution I don’t have to do those annoying work, so I am thinking to buy new Dish Network. Thank you guys, thanks a lot for your time and suggestion.