Thread: Roku XDS vs WD TV Live Plus

Roku XDS vs WD TV Live Plus

Hello guys, I got stuck in one problem I am not able to decide with which option I should go between Roku XDS and Western Digital TV Live Plus, Actually I am planning to replace WBmovies with Netflix streaming and also to watch other downloaded and other files. According to me one positive point for WD is that Roku doesn’t support mkv, iso or unpacked dvd formats and it’s very weak in to provide support in playing local files. But I don’t know the quality of WD’s support for Netflix. Please guys help me out to decide better device or suggest some other device.

Re: Roku XDS vs WD TV Live Plus

The roku XDS can’t play your own content because it doesn’t have input. And I think it just used for streaming purposes from sites like Amazon video, Netflix etc. And as far as I know you have to use your Facbook or Flicker account to put the videos on it. We cannot store anything on the device. Now, WD TV first I want to suggest you that if you don’t own Blu-rayplayer, PS3 or XBOX and you are pretty much into streaming over network then WD TV live will be the best option for you. I would recommend WD TV because of its compatibility.

I would like to share some points for both the devices. If you are looking for a complete media player then don’t go for Roku XDS. I had used Roku XDS and according to me it’s really work well for the net services and it does have tones of widgets. Where as WD with the b-rad modded firmware makes this device a powerful player which can play dvd and blu-rayfiles. And you can also connect external dvd or blu-ray rom via usb port. It supports almost all file formats. And works with services like netflix, appe-trailers, mediafly, youtube, flicker, live365 radio, shoutcast radio, and revison3 vodcasts, pandora radio. I will recommend you to go with WD TV.

Well dude I can’t suggest you which one is better but I am giving reviews from my personal experience of using WD TV. I purchased it because I liked the specification of device, this was the device I was looking for, this device plays music and movies from my PC and as well as stream from Netflix and other sites. I connected this device to my TV using HDMI and downloaded the updates. But when HDMI and TV connected there was video noise but after turning off the auto-negotiation pictures were clear. And after that I went on Netflix movie but picture was constantly blinking on and off and when I contacted support staff they told me that you TV doesn’t have proper HDMI. But the same TV were working with other devices via HDMI, this device really disappointed me.

I think the above user’s WD TV device is defective because from last 2 months I am using WD Live HD which connected to TV via HDMI. I have faced similar problem but when I called the support staff they replaced my device with new one, it cost me around 15$ for shipping but worth it now I don’t have any problem in using WD TV. I am using it without Netflix , it did not had any issues with flicker. I have streamed files from my hard disk and via local network and none of them had any problem with WD TV. So this may be the case with above user.

Guys thanks a ton for the information, even I have gone through some sites they all were recommending WD TV but there was no proper specification about these devices and given very short comparison which quite not enough for a newbie like me. I have posted on other forum sites too but there was hardly any reply they only suggested me buy WD TV but without any specification but here description is more than enough for me, even if I face any problem with WD TV device I think I will be able to solve it by just going through this thread. Thanks a lot guys for helping me out.