Thread: How can I fix 12v/10W 1000mA LED in a car

How can I fix 12v/10W 1000mA LED in a car

I am looking to install an LED on the ceiling light in my Jeep. The LED I found is an aquarium tank lighting 10w 12v, 1000mA = 1A I guess? Can anyone help me find the correct resistance? I am good at soldering wires and resistors, but I'm terrible at calculation. By the way, my blood is normally jeep 12.9V, 14.4V operation if that helps. Please help me guys. Share your knowledge with us. I try to find about this on internet but no success. All replies are appreciated. Thank you.

Re: How can I fix 12v/10W 1000mA LED in a car

My calculation shows a resistance of 5 ohms in series. Make sure you get adequate strength for at least 5 W. In addition, the LED looks like it has to be mounted on a heat sink. Calculation derived from LED operating voltage rating of 10 to 12 V, I make use of 10V. This current 1000mA LED, I utilize 15 V operating voltage inside the truck. I leaned toward taking care not to overdrive the LEDs. I'm not sure that the LED would be happy sharing the V 12 (before starting the engine) with resistance of 5 ohms. My guess is it would work, but I have the experience of some other posters here.

The technical specifications of the eBay site are not clear, unless you truly have a voltage LED 10 to 12 V, it would be very unusual, if it enclose some LEDs in series, or has built in resistance. If you want, ask a seller a question about them. If I were you, I temporarily connect a 10 ohm resistor and measure current and voltage drops in both resistance and LED, and then calculate the value of ultimate strength of the results. I hope this will help you.

I would not make use of that LED for what you're scheduling to utilize it for, it is not going to obtain appropriate cooling inside that together with this dome light. Unlike incandescent bulbs which are able to run hot no difficulty, the LED requirements to be cooled sufficiently to stay at a safe operating temperature, otherwise it will fail prematurely. This exacting LED wants to be mounted to a heat sink used for cooling, and that heat sink wishes to be able to dissipate the heat somewhere.

A 10W description LED driver is moreover obtainable for a 10W LED, but it want an AC source in the 85-265V range. OP has supposed it'll be employ in a van. Specified the probable low voltage differential between the make available and the LED, make use of a resistor, the current (and output) be able to vary all over the position and there would be specific heat difficulty. I hope now you are clear with your doubt. If you find any other solution, then share with us. Thank you

These guys are not accurate through regard to heat debauchery, even though the LED has a heat sink on it. What is wanted here are technical specifications relating to the capability of heat LED can be maintained not including damage, then how much additional heat sink is really needed can be determined. I looked into a cooler place where it says is necessary, but the text is obviously a bad translation from Chinese. I do not think that the plastic melts adding sink accessory (current is too low), but you can experiment to reach an informed decision.