Thread: Dell Laptop Power Jack Started smoking

Dell Laptop Power Jack Started smoking

Hello friends I have got this old Dell Laptop back again from my uncle whom I had given for use but since last six month it was lying just as it is without any use or charge as the charger for the laptop was lost. Now that I had got the same I had ordered a charger from the Dell and as soon as I plugged in the charger to the power jack of the laptop I found that some smoke started to come from the power jack, hurriedly I directly removed the charger from the plug and just kept the laptop as it is, now I would want to know that what shall I do next as I do not want to lose the laptop in any case.

Re: Dell Laptop Power Jack Started smoking

If there was some extra bit of electricity that might have supplied onto the power jack from the charger then I think that it might have directly affected the internal hardware of the laptop and might have got damaged. So I think that instead of you doing anything awful you should directly take the laptop to some engineer who knows what to do and describe him first about what happened at the initial stage.

Dude make sure that you are using the correct charger as I think that you might have ordered some wrong charger and that is why some extra bit of power might have supplied to the laptop which has caused this burning effect. Since for every model there is one specific charger for itself so if you have made use of some different model charger so I think that it would have caused some kind of a problem to the power jack of the laptop and thus the smoke, so make sure that you are using the correct charger.

Since it was lying just as it is for six months in a trot, used and uncharged by anyone so I think that there could be some kind of a glitch that would have happen to main power internals of the laptop and when you connected the charger to supply the power it could have led to the burn of the power jack that is resulted of the smoke. I don’t think so that you should do anything silly and should directly give the laptop to get repaired from the service center.

Dude what I would suggest that you should look to wipe out the power jack with the help of some cloth or something and then try to insert the charger in the socket and then see if you can get the laptop to start normally again. What I think that since the laptop was unused for a long time so it is possible that some dirt might have settled on the surface and that is why you are facing the problem.