Thread: Can we reapply thermal paste to video cards?

Can we reapply thermal paste to video cards?

I am having Radeon 6870 crossfire setup. I play a lot of games I like playing action games a lot. While doing so sometimes I reach 70-71 degrees. For that reason I have lots of fans in my case intake from the side and front. Also I have exhaust from the rear and top, plus intake from the bottom. I check the ambient temperature and it is approximately around 22-23 degrees. So my question is that can we reapply thermal paste to video cards and will it make any big difference reapplying it. And if yes then for which one should I go.

Re: Can we reapply thermal paste to video cards?

I just had a look at your question and found it very interesting. I would always suggest you to go ahead with it as it is a very good idea. Frankly speaking I do it on every video card that I possess. I have two 5770’s with which I work and both use MX-2.And after reapplying the thermal paste on both my 5770s the temperatures have dropped drastically. But while doing so you need to be very careful that you do not touch or move or put pressure on the memory heat pads otherwise the memory temperatures can rise on a chip when you try to refit them.

Even I agree with the solution that is being provided but I feel that it’s a bit incomplete. I would say that the longer you try to keep the memory pads away from pressure the more will they expand. This would specially happen if they are warm .So I would say that you can put the heat sink along with the memory pads in a warm as well as dust free place. Also try keeping it overnight which may help you. Also remember to clean the surface of the memory chips properly. So this is what you need to do.

Talking about which thermal paste to apply I would say that according to me it’s will be a good idea if you don’t go with Arctic Silver paste on the core. I had a very bad experience while using it. I lost a video card when applied it and the card suddenly stopped working. What it does is it just leaves a thin film that you can’t clean up. So it’s very bad and I would say never go with it and opt for some other option. I hope this solution will help you.

I feel that it’s a very good idea for temperatures but it won’t work for warranty on a lot of cards. But if you want to lower down the temperature then it’s better to go with reapplying the thermal paste. I also feel that the temperature you are talking about which is in there range for 70’s is not that big but still if you feel then you can go ahead with it. Also use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning chips. It’s a reliable resource and gives good output.

Thanks a lot for your solutions. Looking at your solution I feel that I should go ahead with reapplying thermal paste to video cards even though the temperature flickers at around 70-71 degrees. Also talking about which thermal paste to apply, I think that I have to go with isopropyl alcohol as it seems to be a safe and reliable option. Even I got a bad review about Arctic Silver paste. So I would like to thank you once again for your solutions and suggestions that you have provided me.