Thread: Do you need V sync with a 120Hz LCD monitor?

Do you need V sync with a 120Hz LCD monitor?

Hello friends, I have a issue while playing game in the LCD monitor, I had recently installed a game from my friend hard disk, everything went fine the installation and all, but when I tried playing the game, it started giving me lag and also after some time the game would hang, I had to restart the pc to come out of it, my operating system is windows xp, when I tried to find out what the problem is I saw that the problem was mainly due to the v sync in the monitor, further investigation lead me to the conclusion that the fps was set to around 60, this had been done so that the lag which I was facing would be eliminated, so now the main problem is how to start the game when the fps is set in such a value.

Re: Do you need V sync with a 120Hz LCD monitor?

The disable/enable option of the v sync is been done by yourself only, because there an advantage and disadvantage for this. When you disable the v sync is really doesn’t matter with respect to the frame rate. If you disable it then the display will tear. Even if you have the frame rate of 1 frame per second then the probability of the display getting tear is 100%. The only way to overcome this is by providing input delay more than it implies. So it all on you that if the display is been tearing in a higher rate than you can turn it off, but if the display is not the issue then turn it on as it consumes less power.

I too was facing the same issue, I had disabled the v sync in one of the game as the display was proper and it was not bothering me so much, but after some days I started playing another game. At that particular time the monitor starts lagging and it starts giving weird outputs. I was shocked to the output on the LCD monitor, I tried doing some changes like checking the wire for some loose connection and all that, but it was of no use. Suddenly remembered that while playing the previous game I had disabled the option of v sync, so I quickly turn the setting on and checked the connection and seen the display. After that the display on the monitor was coming normal. It is highly recommended that to enable your v sync.

I just want to add that there is no such compulsion that the v sync must be kept off, there may be more complication, if the v sync is been kept off. It is totally on us weather to keep the v syns enable or disable. When you say that the monitor is of 120Hz, this means that the display will consist of 129 picture frames that are continues and they are for a certain time period of t sec. When your video card generates million of files, the monitor will generate only 120 files. So because of that v Sync is been used and it should be kept enable so that the synchronization of the frames is been done. This should be done because it increase the life of your video card, decreases the heat level and also provide a good quality of the picture due to synchronization.

As per the usage of the video card goes on increasing the v sync should be kept at the higher value as possible. There is some guideline that should be maintained to avoid such a mistake. Always keep the v sync enabled because it reduces the tearing display and provide a good quality picture without any distortion effect in it, it all depend on the games that you are playing in the computer, if the game requires a fast reflex then it will suggest you to disable the v sync, if the game is a casual game then it will tell you to enable the v sync as they are prone to lagging the games in it, if the game requires higher space in the GPU then it will enable your v sync so that the synchronization of the video card and the monitor is been kept within the limits of the capacity.