Thread: Should I go for Asus Ares Radeon HD 5970 Video Card?

Should I go for Asus Ares Radeon HD 5970 Video Card?

I am getting a used Asus Ares Radeon HD 5970 video card. The cost does not matter but I want to know the performance and other things of it. I was told that it was sold in limited edition with only 1000 pieces produced and not one more insists it from Asus, the ARES is unconventional and at many points of view. Now I am thinking what to do? What you people would like to suggest me? Should I go for Asus Ares Radeon HD 5970 Video Card? Please provide some detailed information about that card. Suggestions would be appreciable.

Re: Should I go for Asus Ares Radeon HD 5970 Video Card?

For those interested, it is chrome and has coded locks (it is regrettable, however, the material chosen for the handle of bag is plastic). Asus has video game with its graphics card, there is a wired mouse with optical sensor, an Asus model GX800, an HDMI / DVI, CrossFire connectors, two cables Y termination with PCI-Express 8-pin connecting two PCI-Express 6-pin. 2.156 kg is the weight of the ARES, a particularly heavy weight for this PCI-Express 2.0 with a length of 29 inches. Inspired by the design of the card first then EN7800 GT manufacturer's color code found on motherboards from Asus Republic of Gamers. Thus the metal casing of the cooling system is decorated with red and black.

With a black PCB with rounded ends, the card carries two AMD RV870 graphics processors. Unlike the Radeon HD 5970 originally proposed by AMD, the chips that drive the ARES here are clocked at full frequency. So rather than having two Radeon HD 5850 on a Radeon HD 5970, Asus Radeon HD 5870 has two on the ARES. And that's not all because each graphics chip has 2 GB of GDDR5 video memory. A total of 4 GB of GDDR5 memory on this card!! Note here that Asus opted for components Hynix and not Samsung. The two graphics chips are interconnected by a circuit PLX system, a sort of bridge PCI-Express support of arbitration between the chips and the rest of the machine. Side operating frequency, each chip runs at 850 MHz, 1200 MHz cons to the memory frequencies identical to those of a Radeon HD 5870. All this is accompanied by a power supply for less unique: the card has not two, but three power connectors. There are two power connectors 8-pin and 6 pin power connector. Note on the edge of the PCB the presence of a CrossFire, ARES can be used with another ATI graphics card.

So according to me, it is better if you are going with this graphic card.

The main thing is the cooling system. The cooling system that accompanies the ARES is directly inspired by that implemented the MARS. It includes a central fan that blows on two huge copper radiator heat pipe, the latter overlooking the graphics chips. Each radiator is fitted with four heat pipes with a diameter of still quite impressive. Asus Announces airflow 600% higher than the AMD reference card, the Radeon HD 5970, with lower noise. The manufacturer indeed advance the figure of 37 dB for its cooling system. 37 dB is perhaps less than 44 dB usually claimed by the Radeon HD 5970 but it remains quite high. During our tests the card has some noise ... especially since the fan rotation speed varies depending on the charge: you approach running the sad record of the GeForce GTX 480 but does not match. So much for practice as at full speed under heavy load or release the fan from the ATI drivers ... and that can easily rival or surpass the GeForce GTX 480 from NVIDIA.

Note that in addition to the radiator overlooking the memory chips of the card, the ARES has a radiator covering the entire history of its PCB back stiffen the assembly but also cool the memory chips that are soldered. As for the external connections, there is a DVI, an HDMI connector and a DisplayPort. The other major change introduced by the ARES is the amount of memory: going from 1 GB per processor ... 2 GB of GDDR5 per processor.