Thread: UBUNTU : graphic card in degraded mode

UBUNTU : graphic card in degraded mode

Hello, last few days; my cell phone displays this error message in a dialog at startup of Ubuntu 10.4: “Your screen, your graphics card and settings of input devices may not have been detected correctly. You require to configure them yourself.”I click OK, after that I have the following options: "Start Ubuntu in low resolution mode just for this session -> no effect, "Reboot X" -> No effect, Exit towards the user console "-> open the console .I attempted the proposed solutions on various forums, but without success . I am comparatively a beginner in ubuntu and I require some documents on my computer. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: UBUNTU : graphic card in degraded mode

It seems that the problem is with the driver of your graphics card, If you get an message “02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C79”. Then it is sure that you are getting this error message because of the graphic card driver. Have you tried installing and uninstalling the driver. If not then do it and inform me the result. Hope this will help you to get rid of this issue.

Thank you for your valuable suggestion I have already tried installing and uninstalling the driver but it does not help. Fine I have also attempted several methods which I found while searching on the net but none of them seems to resolve the trouble. How come it worked just well two days ago and now it no longer recognizes my graphics card driver? Please anyone have any idea to resolve this please let me know. Your suggestion would be appreciated.

I think I also have a similar trouble. I have a new computer for several weeks (with two monitors, twin screen mode I think it's called) and everything was fine until the update (and not upgraded) today. This update required a rebooting of the system and ever since my second screen goes blank and there is for all time the first message "Ubuntu running in degraded mode graphics), and so on. For now I did “nvidia-xconfig sudo” and reboot . But nothing changed.

I resolved my trouble. I had come to format my PC, the whole thing worked. I installed the NVIDIA driver (latest available). After that I rebooted as requested. Upon restart, it gave me the similar problem! So I rebooted once more and choose ubuntu in recovery mode (during the selection of the operating system with grub) and choose the option 'Update the system' or something in kind, there was marked or LGDK somewhat similar to that, do not remember too much. After a brief early in the console where ubuntu has downloaded as well as installed updates and reboot, it works once more flawlessly! Hope this helps.